There is a lot of confusion about switching Medigap plans so we aim to provide the complete details in one place. Whether you want to switch to a different Medigap company or stay with the same company but switch plans (eg Medigap F to Medigap G) you have come to the right place. We will also go over unique switching rules for your state. You may have heard that switching Medigap is difficult. While this can be true, here is all the information you need to switch Medigap plans.
Medigap Open Enrollment?
Can you change Medigap plans annually? Not usually.
Medicare Advantage and Medicare Part D have annual election open enrollment each year between Oct. 15 and Dec. 7th, where you can seamlessly switch from one plan to another. Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plans, on the other hand, do not have an annual switching period. There is something called Medigap Open Enrollment but it is not an annual event. Medigap Open Enrollment is the one-time initial enrollment period that takes place the first time when you are both over 65 and enrolled in Medicare Part B. We like to call it Medigap Initial Enrollment since many people assume open enrollment happens every year. During this initial Open Enrollment period, you have 6 months to enroll in any Medigap plan regardless of your health. If you pick a plan during this initial open enrollment period and do not like it, you can switch to a second plan no questions asked as long as you do so within your first 6 months of eligibility. Click here to see if there is a lower-cost Medigap plan in your area.
Everyone Can Switch Medigap Plans By Answering Medical Questions
Whether you want to switch from Medigap Plan F to Plan G, you want to work with a different insurance company, or you want to get a better-priced Medicare Supplement plan, you can do so at any time by submitting a new application. If you are approved on a new plan, it typically starts the first of the month following your application.
In most states, you will have to answer medical questions and could be turned down for pre-existing conditions. That being said, some insurance companies ask fewer medical questions and have easier standards for approval than others.
Call us at 800-930-7956 and we can help you select the plan with the best chance of approval based on your health situation. We have had great success in this arena.
But before you try to switch Medigap plans by answering questions, see if you qualify for guaranteed switching as outlined below. We have also written a very detailed guide on every Medicare Insurance switching option that will not require health questions.
Some States Allow Medigap Switching Without Medical Questions
These states have laws that will allow you to change Medicare supplement plans without underwriting. Below you will find information on each state’s rules:
- California, Oregon, Illinois, Idaho, Louisiana, and Nevada have the Medigap Birthday Rule. If you are currently enrolled in a Medigap plan, you can change each year around your birth month with no medical questions asked. Learn more about all the Birthday Rule here. Compare Medigap prices here.
- Connecticut and New York changing Medicare supplement plans is easy. Both states have guaranteed issuance for all at any time. Learn more about CT’s and NY’s 100% guaranteed issuance here. Compare CT & NY Medigap prices here.
- Missouri has the Medigap Anniversary Rule. This allows you to switch 30 days before and 30 days after the anniversary date of when you first signed up. Learn more about MO’s Anniversary Rule here. Compare Missouri’s Medigap prices here.
- Massachusetts has an annual Medigap open enrollment period from February 1 – March 31
- Maine allows Medigap enrollees to switch to a plan that has the same or fewer benefits, at any time of the year. Call 800-930-7956 for assistance.
- Washington allows enrollees to switch from any Medigap to any other Medigap except Plan A at any time of the year. Compare WA Medigap prices here.
Medigap for Under 65 enrollees have different rules where states can decide whether they can enroll and up to how much they can be charged.
Special Circumstances Equals Free Switching
All states have Medigap guaranteed issuance rules for certain circumstances after 65. See if you qualify for Medigap Special Enrollment here.
Can’t I just move from a Medigap Plan F to a Plan G with the same insurance plan?
So many people contact us and ask “Can I switch from plan F to plan G without underwriting?” Switching from F to G usually still requires answering health questions on an application before they will approve the switch.
There are a few companies in a few states that are allowing their members to switch from F to G without review, but most still require you to apply to switch. Give us a call and we can see if your current plan will let you downgrade from F to G without medical underwriting.
Get a Medigap Quote Enroll in Medigap
Looking to Switch from Medicare Advantage to Medigap?
You can do that as well but you have to do it at the right time. Read our article Can I Switch From Medicare Advantage to Medigap? to learn all about how it works.
Check Out our Newest Resource for Switching
The Ultimate Medicare Insurance Switching Guide shows you every Medicare Insurance switching option in every state on one clean chart. You asked for it so we did it! Click the link above for the latest on every way to change your insurance.
Get a Medigap Quote Enroll in Medigap
Get Instant Rates
Check out what your exact price for Medigap, MA or Part D would be.Click Here