Can I Switch From Medicare Advantage to Medigap?

There are 4 main ways to leave Medicare Advantage and join Medigap.
There are 4 options for seniors currently on a Medicare Advantage (MA) plan who would like to change to a Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plan. Under the first two options, switchers are guaranteed to be approved. Options 3 and 4 require completing certain medical questions before approval.

What are the options for switching from Medicare Advantage to Medigap?

1. Switch during your first year of Medicare Advantage
  2. Switch during Special Enrollment Period
  3. Switch during the Annual Election Period (Oct 7 – Dec 15)
  4. Switch during the Medicare Advantage Disenrollment period (Jan 1 – Feb 14)

Who would want to change from Medicare Advantage to Medigap?

You may want to switch from Medicare Advantage to Medigap if:

• You are looking to access a bigger network of doctors. Medigap accesses the same network of doctors as Original Medicare, the largest network of doctors in America
  • You want increased benefits. Some Medigap plans offer benefits such as foreign travel emergency coverage or 365 extra days of hospital coverage that your Medicare Advantage plan may not cover.
  • You want to avoid deductibles, copays or co-insurances. Certain Medigap plans cover all deductibles and most cover all out of pocket costs.
  • You want protect your wealth. Owning a Medigap plan is considered by many the best way to protect yourself from the high cost of medical bills .

Next Steps for Switching to Medigap

Changing plans from Medicare Advantage to a Medicare Supplemental plan is not for everyone. You must make sure that it fits your budget and make sure you are approved on a Medigap plan before your MA plan is cancelled. Please call our licensed independent agents at 800-930-7956 to discuss your situation.

Learn More about Medigap Get a Medigap Quote Apply for Medigap
Learn More about Medicare Advantage Get a Medicare Advantage Quote

Carol

I’ve been in a Medicare Advantage plan for 3 years and want to change to a Medigap plan but have a blood disorder and a prolapsed mitral valve so will any Medigap company take me? What if I go back to Original Medicare and at the end of the year want to enroll in a Medigap plan? Is it easier or even possible to get a Medigap plan after having a MA plan at any time?

Reply to  Carol
Carol,
Your best option to switch from Medicare Advantage to Medigap would be during Open Enrollment, that is from October 15th to December 7th.

Give us a call and we can discuss how medical underwriting would work in your case and your chances of approval based on some additional questions we have.

Janice
Janice

My wife applied for Medigap Plan G through an insurance agent. She was approved for Medigap Plan G effective Jan 1 2019. My wife was covered under Medicare Advantage Plan previous to applying for the Medigap Plan.
My wife received a member card in Medigap Plan G and has been paying $155 per month.
To our surprise when a claim was put into Medicare as the primary insurer they denied the claim.
The reason was that the Medicare Advantage Plan was never cancelled.
My wife has a major surgery planned with a doctor who is not in the Advantage Plan network.
I assumed Boomer Associates cancelled the Advantage Plan on January 1. Who is responsible for this?

Reply to  Janice
Janice,
Did your wife not sign up for a Part D drug plan when she switched?

When we help our clients switch from a Medicare Advantage (MA) plan to a Medigap plan we ALWAYS recommend that they also sign up for a Part D drug plan for three reasons:
1) Medigap doesn’t have drug coverage at the pharmacy
2) If you don’t sign up for Part D drugs when you switch you could be subject to a LIFETIME penalty later and
3) When you enroll in a Part D drug plan it automatically cancels your MA plan.

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem like you were properly advised on this. With more information we could advice you on your current options. Give us a call to review your case.

Ann
Ann

I will be 65 in the next few months and educating myself regarding medicare. I have decideded to get traditional Medicare with a supplement.

I live in Massachusetts my sister sells insurance in Pennsylvania. If I am on Pa soil can she sell me a supplemental insurance plan, since it is accepted in all states? If she can are the premiums based on my zip code in Mass or zip code in Pa? If I decide in a few years to move to Pa, what are my premiums based on.
Thanks

Reply to  Ann
Ann,
Typically you must purchase Medigap insurance coverage in the state of your permanent residence. If you move, premiums can be based on your original state, your new state or a combo of both since prices are set by each carrier. If you sister is a licensed agent she could confirm this.

Normally we could help you sign up online or over the phone for supplemental coverage. We here at Senior65 are licensed insurance agents appointed to sell insurance in over 45 states. Unfortunately, due to your states unique laws, Massachusetts is currently not one of them. If you move to another state in the future, we can help you navigate the switching process.

Carol

I’m 72, living in Washington state but spend about half the year traveling in the US and abroad. I switched to Medigap (plan N) two years ago when my MA plan went from a PPO to an HMO, because I wanted coverage in Arizona, where we spend considerable time in the winter.

My primary-care doctor in Seattle abruptly retired last year from the large multi specialty clinic where I have many specialists. Although I have not seen you address this issue, I knew that most primary care doctors will not accept a new regular Medicare patient. Because the clinics set the rules I am now left with a less-than-ideal choice of primary-care doctors, Apparently they want MA plans for the extra reimbursement. I am considering switching back to a MA plan, if one is offered in my county with a PPO and a large national network. Do I have other options?

Reply to  Carol
Carol,
Based on our work with 1000s of clients and selling Medigap and Medicare Advantage (MA) plans for over a decade, we do not agree with the generalization that an MA plan will give one access to more doctors. Medigap plans allow you to access the entire Medicare network which is the largest doctor network in the nation by far. For someone who travels, we rarely recommend an MA HMO plan due to restrictive doctor networks.

That being said, your concern is real and it is disappointing to hear that you are having difficulty finding a great doctor that will accept Medicare in your area.

We wish we had worked with you when you first applied for Plan N.
We would have suggested Plan G since plan N does not cover “excess charges” but G does. All doctors can charge 15% beyond the Medicare reimbursement rate, and according to our clients, most do! By having a Plan G, your Medigap will cover 100% of that additional cost that doctors are now passing on to clients. This might open up your search to doctors who charge beyond the Medicare Assignment rate and give you better options.

Give us a call if you would like to discuss more or consider switching.

Richard
Richard

My wife we’ll be turning 65 in July of this year. We live in state of Maine If we start out with a advantage plan does the state of Maine have a three year time frame for switching to a Medgap plan with also the drug plan without having undergo medical review. She has thyroid cancer and had it out and been free of cancer for 5 years. Also we live in Florida in the winter months.What would you suggest.

Reply to  Richard
Hello Richard,
Maine does have a three year time frame to switch from MA to Medigap so you should have no problems switching.

If you are going back and forth to Florida a Medigap plan might serve your needs best. Most Medicare Advantage plans only have a regional network of doctors and hospitals. Medigap, on the other hand, allows you to visit any doctor who accepts Medicare nationwide so even if you are in Florida in the winter, you will have coverage.

We would love to help you enroll in a Medigap or Medicare Advantage plan so when you’re ready please give us a call at 800-930-7956!

Helen
Helen

I am 69 and have MA. I am thinking of switching to Medigap G. Is this possible? I am aware of medical underwriting. No pre-existing conditions.

Reply to  Helen
Helen,
With no pre-existing conditions, you will have no problem switching to a Medigap G. Usually your best bet is to switch during Annual Election Period (Oct 15 – Dec 7) since there are rules for when you can disenroll in your MA plan. I know it is a lot of time but please don’t hesitate to give us a call during this time and we can help you switch at no additional cost!

NJ
NJ

Is it true that if I have Medicare advantage along with epic insurance i can switch to a medigap plan at anytime even if I have previous medical conditions

Reply to  NJ
Hello,
As of now, we are not aware of such a option. Medicare Advantage has strict rules when you can cancel coverage.

The best time to switch from a Medicare Advantage plan to a Medigap plan is the Annual Election Period (October 15th to December 7th), which, of course we can help you with if you give us a call.

Roy
Roy

agents from bankers life cam to my house. I have had small ins.policies for sometime with bankers life. As the life ins. questions they began on health ins. they tried to sell us a medigap plan f and bankers had an agreement with Colonial Penn. As she was working on laptop I thought she was apiling for plan f and she probably just making an application. Then she said every thing was perfect. Then she said that my wife could not have two policies bat the same time and took her phone and called my wife’s ins. company. She said she was my wife and cancelled my wife’s ins. My wife had ESRD and no ins. co. would sell her a medagap Now my wife has only medicare and is geting medicare. Is it time to get a lawyer, as this was fraud.
roy

Reply to  Roy
Roy
The behavior you described by the people who came to your house is illegal. Contact the Center for Medicare Services at 1-800-633-4227. You have rights and they sound like they were violated.
Please note: Senior65.com independent agents will never visit your house and never sign you up for a plan without your knowledge. We strongly recommend waiting for official approval of a new plan before cancelling your previous plan.
Sue
Sue

My husband has been on SSDI, Medicare Part B, and Part D since April 2014. He will be 63 years old next January and has resided in long-term care since September 2015. He is a private-pay resident and will be until Spring 2020. I am considering switching him to a Medicare Advantage plan for next year. If I do that, will it be possible for him to get a traditional Medicare supplement without medical underwriting when he turns 65 in January 2021? I really prefer traditional Medicare, Part D, and a Medicare supplement if at all possible. I would not switch him to a Medicare Advantage plan if there is any way that would jeopardize his changes of getting a Medicare supplement when he turns 65. I personally will never purchase a Medicare Advantage plan for myself. Not worth the hassle of preauthorizations and limits on some services.

Reply to  Sue
Sue,
When he turns 65 it will trigger a guaranteed enrollment situation for your husband for all Medicare Supplement plans. We would love to help him enroll in that plan when the time comes. There is no hidden fee or charge to work with Senior65.com.
-Chris at Senior65.com
Judi
Judi

My husband had Plan G for about 4yrs also has coverage through VA he wanted to try an Advantage Plan last year because of 0 premiums our agent said give it a try and if not satisfied he could switch back to Plan G she never mentioned anything about there being problems with preexisting condition, he isn’t happy with Advantage he went last week to go back to supplement G was told only Blue Cross would take him because he had mini stroke the premium would be $212 monthly compared to $146 monthly he was paying before he switched not too happy

RALPH
RALPH

I will be 67 on Dec 22 2018. I have had a supplement plan at the required 65th age. I still have said plan N, however i am in good health and am considering switching to an advantage plan. I understand the consequences should i want to switch back, underwriting ect. .

However I have sleep apnea, is this something that would create issues. Also with an advantage plan if one was to become seriously ill would you owe any monies beyond your deductible?

I have read several responses on this site and you ( the agent) have stated that the medigap as well as the Advantage plan will save your wealth from high costs health issues.

Reply to  RALPH
Ralph,
It’s true that Medicare Supplement and Medicare Advantage plans will both do a better job at protecting your wealth than Original Medicare alone. But they work differently. Most Medicare Advantage plans have an Out of Pocket Max of $6700. So yes, you can pay beyond the deductibles but you cannot pay more that $6700 of approved in-network medical expenses.

As far as returning to Medigap goes, each provider handles underwriting differently. Most insurance providers currently do not ask about sleep apnea but some do. We can help you identify which insurance providers would be the best fit for you. Please contact us with any questions.

Lyn
Lyn

If I have had a Humana Medicare Advantage plan due to disability since I was 60 can I enroll in a Medigap plan during open enrollment when I turn 65? When I do this, will my MA plan automatically be cancelled?

Reply to  Lyn
Lyn,
You should be able to enroll en a Medigap plan when you hit 65. Your MA plan will not be automatically cancelled UNLESS you also enroll in a Part D drug plan. We can help you with this transaction to get the timing right. Please contact us at 800-930-7956
Becky
Becky

I’m on MA plan through TRS since 2/2015. I want to change to Plan G. On blood pressure meds and thyroid and cholesterol meds. Can I switch during October-December open enrollment with out any trouble?

Reply to  Becky
Becky,
Since you have been on your MA plan for more than one year, it will require that you answer health questions before being approved on a plan G. Medications that manage blood pressure and cholesterol are typically not an issue for most insurance providers. Thyroid issues might be treated differently depending on your situation. You can give us a call and we can review your particular case to understand your chance of being approved on a Medigap plan.

If you applied in october/nov and were approved, your old MA plan would end on Dec 31, 2018 and your new medigap plan could start on Jan 1, 2019.
-Michelle from Senior65.com .

Deborah
Deborah

I have been researching the overall cost for medicare plans in my area (zip 28412). Clearly I save $$ with an Advantage plan – especially since several offer vision, dental, and free gym memberships. I read some comments in your section that a person with an Advantage plan was actually paying more than if they only had medicare A&B- is that possible?

While I can afford a medigap plan at the moment I am concerned about rising costs. Plan G seems better than F as the rise in premiums exceeds the Part B deductible. Is Plan G guaranteed renewable like Plan F? If the company you have Plan G stops supporting Plan G are you guaranteed to get another company to give you the same Plan G without medical underwriting? If you wanted a different medigap plan than the one you ‘lost’ would that require underwriting?

Reply to  Deborah
Deborah,
Thanks for your comment. For smaller expenses like deductibles and copays you could pay more with Medicare Advantage (MA) than Medicare alone. But unlike original Medicare, MA caps your total out of pocket spending should you have expensive medical procedures. This protects your wealth from run-away expenses.

Second Question: G is guaranteed renewable and is usually a better deal than Plan F. If your Medigap company stops offering your plan, you would be able to switch to another plan without Medical underwriting.
Please call us if you would like help selecting or enrolling in a plan.

hao
hao

My mom is moving from Rochester NY to Mississippi at the end of June. She currently has Excellus blue shield and blue cross Advantage plan which is no longer offered in MS. If she applies for a Medigap plan in MS, does she automatically qualify for F plan or is medical underwriting required? Thanks

Reply to  hao
Hao,
Based on what you shared, she would be automatically approved on plan F with no underwriting.
-Eric from Senior65.com
Jack
Jack

I’ve had Medicare Advantage (MA) for 9 years. My MA plan is only good in Broward County, Florida. I want to switch to a Medicare Supplement Plan (Medigap) so I have access to doctors and hospitals nationwide. Do I have to wait until Oct. 15, then dis-enroll into original Medicare, then purchase a Medigap policy? Am I guaranteed that a Medigap provider will insure me even with a pre-existing condition?

Reply to  Jack
Jack,
Yes, you have to first dis-enroll in MA before you can enroll in Medigap. Oct 15th is the best time to start this process but your MA plan will not officially end until Jan. 1 2019. We can help you with this process (usually by selecting a drug only plan). You will want to be approved on a Medigap plan BEFORE dis-enrolling.

Getting approved on a Medigap would required going through medical underwriting. There are some special enrollment conditions (like moving to a new area) that would guarantee that you can be approved that you should consider. Give us a call and we can discuss special enrollment options.

Jeanette
Jeanette

I turned 65 in Feburary 2018 and enrolled in a supplement plan F. An agent contacted me and I agreed to switch to a Med Advantage Plan which started in March 2018. I want to switch back to a Med Supp Plan because my doctor is not part of the Advantage Plan group. Can I switch back with no underwriting because it been less than a year?

Reply to  Jeanette
Jeanette,
Yes. You can switch back to a Medigap plan because you are in your first year trial period. The easiest way to switch, however, is to do so before the end of April as you are still in your initial enrollment period. If your part B effective date is 2/1/2018 you should be still in your initial enrollment period so switching is even easier. Please give us a call today and we would be glad to help you enroll in a Medigap plan.

EDITORS NOTE: Please learn from Jeanette’s message above. Medigap and Medicare Advantage are very different and each has strengths and weaknesses. If you don’t understand the pros and cons between the two plan types, you may end up with the wrong plan. Your agent should work with you to help you find a plan with the right benefits, network of doctors, monthly premium and out of pocket expenses for your needs and budget. That is what we strive for here at Senior65.com.

Anyone giving you the hard sell on one specific plan without understanding your needs should be avoided.

Carl
Carl

I just turned 65 and am in good health. Which would be better for me, the Advantage or the Supplement?

Reply to  Carl
Great Question Carl. We get this all the time. Both plans can protect your wealth from the high cost of medical expenses not covered by Medicare. Try out our Recommendation engine to see which is right for you. Once you go though it, if you still have a question or you are ready to apply, give us a call at 800-930-7956
DB
DB

My 80 YO mom has had an employer managed Large Group Medicare Advantage plan for many years. We want to switch to a private Medigap Plan G on Jan 1. We have a certificate of credible coverage from the former employer. In Florida, will we still have a 3- 6 month waiting period for no coverage of pre-existing conditions for the Supplemental coverage starting at the coverage date of Jan 1?

Reply to  DB
DB,
Normally there should be no waiting period if she has had credible coverage before applying for a G plan. Since she is in special enrollment she will be guarenteed for Plan F but would have to apply for G and answer medical questions before approval. Give us a call and we can help her identify the Medigap G plan that has the best chance of approval .
LISA
LISA

I have had an advantage plan for 5 years now. I was told I can not go back to original medicare. Is this correct?

Reply to  LISA
Lisa,
We don’t think that you were given accurate advice and we are concerned that who you are working with doesn’t understand Medicare or Medicare insurance.

You can leave you MA plan and return to original Medicare each year. The easiest way to do this is to apply for a Medicare Part D plan during the Oct 15-Dec 7 annual election period (AKA open enrollment). This will automatically return you original Medicare.

There is another way to leave your MA plan and not enroll in a drug plan but we strongly recommend that those not on a MA plan get a Medicare drug plan.

Senior65 can assist you with this process. -Eric from Senior65.com

GB
GB

I am in WI and have had a Medicare Advantage plan since I turned 65 in Sept 2016. I would now like to switch to a Medicare Supplement plan. Will I be guaranteed acceptance?

Reply to  GB
GB
Based on what you have written it doesn’t sound like it. If it has been more than 6 months since your part B effective date you will most likely have to answer Medical questions on your Medigap application.

Each insurance company asks different questions so please contact us so we can help you identify the plan that offers the best chance at approval with the lowest price.

Carol

I presently have a supplement ( plan F). It is awesome in that it covers virtually everything. However, I am 68 with no health issues and the $200/month premium seems like a lot. My husband has a Medicare Advantage Plan (PPO) and it has had good coverage as well ( with NO premium where we are in Florida) . We do go to Minnesota for the summer so need a plan that covers us there too.

I am considering changing over to his plan , but am fearful of that 20% chemotherapy charge on the MA plan….up to $6,700. It kind of a crap shoot since chances of getting cancer these days are more ‘when’ rather than ‘ if’.
Am interested what a ‘ professional’ would suggest to his/her mom.

Reply to  Carol
Both options are better than just going with original Medicare alone but our general recommendation is as follows “if you can afford your Medigap plan keep it.” The coverage and flexibility of doctor options will be well worth it if you have serious medical needs in the future.

Hope that helps. If you want to discuss switching in more detail, please contact us.

scott
scott

I’m glad that you talked about how some medigap plans can help you if you can’t pay original Medicare deductibles. I have been wanting to get medicare now that I’m getting older. I can see how it would be good to enroll in a plan soon, so I can get the benefits I need to use this year.

Mark
Mark

My Mother has Medicare both parts (b for sure) and she has private supplemental health insurance that is costing her a bundle at age 84. It’s the old plan j. Can she still get a plan h for example in Illinois from another company? Thanks mark.

Reply to  Mark
Mark,
Your mother could switch to a new Medigap plan but she may be subject to medical underwriting where she would have to answer some health questions before getting approved. She could switch to a Medicare Advantage plan during open enrollment (Oct 15-Dec 7) and be approved no questions asked. If you need assistance with this, please call us.
-Michelle from Senior65

P.S. Just for the record Plan H was retired in 2010 and is no longer available. We would recommend a different plan.

Patricia
Patricia

I am 66 and a half and have had Medicare Advantage in WI. Now I need to move to California to babysit my grandchildren. I will be living with my son and daughter-in-law, so I will not be renting nor purchasing a house. How can I prove that I am moving? If I can, can I purchase Medigap at any time? I do have a preexisting condition (I had my esophagus stretched a year an a half ago). I will be moving December 18.

Reply to  Patricia
Patricia,
Based on the information that you shared, you should be able to be approved on a California Medigap plan without answering any Medicare questions on the application.

You can get instant Medigap prices here and we can help you switch plans over the phone.
-Chris from Senior65

Alan
Alan

Currently enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Plan in Massachusetts. Will move and become a resident of Florida effective January 1, 2018. Under the provisions of a Medicare Special Enrollment, how do I simultaneously disenroll from the Advantage Plan in Mass,, switch to Original Medicare, and apply and become eligible for a Medigap Plan F and Medicare D plan in Florida, for all to be effective January 1, 2018? Will I have to wait until January 1, 2018, to apply for a Medigap Plan and Medicare D plan when in Florida and suffer a lapse of coverage until February 1.

Reply to  Alan
Alan,
Thank you for your question. If you have evidence that you moved to Florida before January 1st, use your proof of moving to get the ball rolling in advance.

We usually start with the Medigap application and then disenroll from your MA by applying for a Part D when the time is right .

There are a lot of moving parts but we can help you with this process so everything starts on Jan 1 and you have no lapse in coverage. Feel free to give us a call.
-Chris from Senior65

Axel
Axel

My wife and I are both 75 years old and are currently enrolled in Medicare Advantage PPO plans in Naples, Fl. We would like to get out of these plans and enroll in Medigap plans as this move would give us much greater flexibility both vis a vis choice of physicians and medical facilities. Can you help us make the switch?

Yes, we would LOVE to help you! We can help you research and apply for the best priced Medigap plan in your area. Please give us a call at 800-930-7956.

Many people asks how can we do this with no charge: We will receive a commission from the insurance company that you enroll in but there is no hidden fee or extra cost to you. You are guaranteed the lowest cost available. We look forward to your call!
-Jacima from Senior65

Fred
Fred

I presently have Medicare Advantage. They’ve sent me a letter saying they’re no longer offering my plan as of Dec 31st. I would like to change to a Medigap policy but have a pre-existing condition. Do I qualify to make the change without regard to medical condition?

Reply to  Fred
Fred
Based on what you shared you should have the right to buy Medigap Plan A, B, C, F, K, or L that’s sold by any insurance company in your state. You must apply for a Medigap policy as early as 60 days before the date your coverage will end OR no later than 63 calendar days after your coverage ends. We can help you price and enroll in a Medigap plan at no cost to you.
-Eric from Senior65.com
Karla
Karla

My husband and I have MA. Was recently told by a friend that one must start with a Medigap plan like F….that one can always go ‘down’ to a MA but once you do you cannot go ‘up’ to a Medigap plan. Her advisor told her that.

Reply to  Karla
Karla
You do not have to start with Medigap but it is often a smart move if you have pre-existing conditions. Medicare Advantage (MA) has an annual election period each year where you will be enrolled in a plan at the best price regardless of your health history. So, yes, it is easier to switch from Medigap to MA because MA must enroll you.

Medigap, on the other hand, does not have an annual election period so switching from MA to Medigap often requires you to answer Medical questions. While it can be more work, this article shows you a few ways how to switch from MA to Medigap. We help people with this everyday so it is possible!

Hsecpa
Hsecpa

I am 65, a Maricopa County AZ resident, and currently in my first year with a Medicare Advantage Plan. This plan has “hidden” networks that I was not aware of when I signed up – my PCP is in one network, my cardiologist is in another and therefore “out-of-network”.

Does it make sense to get a Medigap policy during open enrollment and drop the Advantage plan? Or should I just switch Advantage plan providers and find a plan where my doctors are both in the same network?

Reply to  Hsecpa
If you want the largest network of doctors and you can afford a Medigap plan, you will want to switch. You are allowed to switch from Medicare Advantage to Medigap in your first year without Medical review so don’t miss your window. If you would like assistance, please give us a call. It is a free service to you, but your insurance company will give us a small commission allowing us to “keep the lights on.”
-Chris from http://www.senior65.com
Reg
Reg

I am currently on an MA plan, but my oncologist is not in network so I have to pay 30% of everything including a physical, preventive testing and any medical treatment needed. I have stage 4 prostate cancer which is being treated successfully, but out of network.

In effect, I now pray more with MA than I would have to with straight Medicare which is dumb and stupid.

Do have the options of switching to a Medi-gap plan or another MA provider that is in network due to the pre-existing condition. Changing to another oncologist is not in the cards. Am I stuck in my current MA

Reply to  Reg
Reg,
In most states, you will be denied to switch from a Medicare Advantage to a Medigap plan if you currently have cancer, unless you have a guaranteed issuance. You may, however, be able to switch from a Medicare Advantage to another Medicare Advantage outside of Open Enrollment. You can do this if the plan you are enrolled in is not 5-star rated and you are able to find a 5-star plan in your area. If you would like to learn if you qualify to switch to a Medigap plan or if there are 5-star MA plans in your area, please contact one of our Senior65 licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.
Max Jones
Max Jones

My grandfather is currently on medicare advantage, but we would love to get him something extra. I think that Medigap would be a good option for him because they will protect him from high medical bills, but get him access to more doctors. We’re going to see what we need to do to get him on Medigap! Thank you.

Judy
Judy

If I switch from a Medicare Advantage Plan to a Medigap Plan, am I penalized in any way?

Reply to  Judy
Judy,
You will not be penalized for switching from a Medicare Advantage to Medigap plan; however, in most states, you will have to undergo medical underwriting, and can be denied or charged more if you have preexisting conditions. As well as, you only have certain times of the year you can exit your MA plan. If you’re trying to decide between the two or want to switch, call one of our Senior65 licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.
Roberta Smith
Roberta Smith

I’m moving out of the service area for my current advantage plan, (from Oregon to CA). The agent in CA is telling me she is unable to begin the application process for a medigap plan until my current company (advantage plan) gives me a letter of disenrollment. My current provider is telling me they will not give me this letter until I actually move. My concern is a lapse in coverage.

Reply to  Roberta Smith
Roberta,
You should be able to apply if you have a letter of intent from an employer, lease/mortgage, or other legal notification of a move. Reach out to one of our Senior65 licensed independent insurance agents who will be able to help make a smooth transition into another plan during your Special Enrollment Period. Our number is 800-930-7956.
Dan
Dan

I have a MA. If I would like to change to a Medigap plan, what might
prevent me from being accepted?

Reply to  Dan
Dan,
We would be happy to help! Unfortunately, we cannot give a straight answer on what could stop you from being accepted. The thing is every Medigap provider has its own list of medical questions (some do ask less questions, and have easier lines of approval). For help finding the easiest provider to switch to call one of our Senior65 licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.
Linda Agren
Linda Agren

My husband has a Medicare advantage plan in AZ. We are moving to Utah and he wants to get insurance like my G plan. Will macular degeneration prohibit the change?

Reply to  Linda Agren
Linda,
Good news! When you move out of your Medicare Advantage area it should trigger a Special Enrollment Period for Medigap. Unfortunately, G is not one of the plans available, but F is. Please contact one of our Senior65 licensed independent insurance at 800-930-7956, and we can help decide on the right plan for your husband.
Ellie
Ellie

I’m 68, I’ve had Medicare Advantage since I turned 65. Unfortunately, I was just diagnosed with Stage I breast cancer. Problem is the best doctor in my area doesn’t accept my plan, but they take Medigap. Do you think I’ll be able to switch?

Reply to  Ellie
Ellie,
It never hurts to apply for a Medigap plan, the worst they can say is “no”, right? We consider ourselves the Medigap switching experts, so call us at 800-930-7956.

With that said, you may not have a qualifying period to switch until then end of the year, but we can figure that all out when we talk to you.

Reply to  Carol
Carol,

Janice
Janice

The reason was that the Medicare Advantage Plan was never cancelled.

Reply to  Janice
Janice,
Did your wife not sign up for a Part D drug plan when she switched?

1) Medigap doesn’t have drug coverage at the pharmacy
3) When you enroll in a Part D drug plan it automatically cancels your MA plan.

Ann
Ann

Thanks

Reply to  Ann
Ann,

Reply to  Carol
Carol,

We wish we had worked with you when you first applied for Plan N.

Give us a call if you would like to discuss more or consider switching.

Richard

Reply to  Lyn
Lyn,
Becky
Becky

Reply to  Becky
Becky,

-Michelle from Senior65.com .

Deborah
Deborah

Reply to  Deborah
Deborah,

Please call us if you would like help selecting or enrolling in a plan.

hao

Senior65 can assist you with this process. -Eric from Senior65.com

GB
GB

Reply to  GB
GB

Carol

Am interested what a ‘ professional’ would suggest to his/her mom.

Reply to  Carol

Roberta Smith

Reply to  Roberta Smith
Roberta,
Dan
Dan

I have a MA. If I would like to change to a Medigap plan, what might
prevent me from being accepted?

Reply to  Dan