How to Switch to Medigap in 1st Year of Medicare Advantage

Medicare Advantage enrollees may not be aware there is a loophole that you can switch to a Medicare Supplement plan (Medigap), without answering medical questions, in the first year of coverage (except Maine’s three year rule). While this is available, there are qualifications you must meet to make the MA to Medigap switch.

How to Switch from MA to Medigap in 1st Year

There are two ways to switch from Medicare Advantage (Part C) to Medigap without medical underwriting in the first year of enrollment. The chart below will explain the circumstance, which plans you can switch to, and the time frame you must switch in.

Switching Right You can enroll in Medigap plans: Time frame you must enroll:
If you enrolled in an MA plan when first eligible and decide within the 1st year to switch to Original Medicare Any Medigap policy in your area Enroll 60 days before coverage ends to 63 days after coverage ends
Left your Medigap plan to join a MA plan and want to switch back within the 1st year Return to the Medigap plan you had before you switched. If the company no longer sells the plan, you can buy A, B, C, F, K or L from any company in your area Enroll 60 days before coverage ends to 63 days after coverage ends

Learn More about Medigap Get a Medigap Quote

To learn about other switching situations check out the article Can I Switch from Medicare Advantage to Medigap?

For further questions call 800-930-7956.

Greg
Greg

All this stuff can be scary, especially if/when making a decision that has long term implications that are unknown at the time.

Background – I became 65 y/o in January of 2019. I signed up for a Medicare Advantage (MA) plan at that time, effective 1/1/19.

I was advised at that time, that living in Ohio (county Cuyahoga), I would have 2 years to be able to switch “guaranteed issue” to Medigap plan(s).

Question – Is this advice correct? IF NOT, could I switch to “guaranteed issue” Medigap plan during the upcoming annual enrollment period?

Reply to  Greg
Greg,
We are not familiar with a 2 year period to switch from Medicare Advantage (MA) to Medigap. It is usually a 1 year trail period with MA. However, you are still in the one year period since you enrolled in MA, so you can switch with guaranteed issuance to Medigap.

Give us a call to help you make the change at no additional cost.

Deborah
Deborah

I turned 65 in July and signed up for Medicare Advantage. When can I change from it to Medigap?

Thanks for any help

Reply to  Deborah
Deborah,
If your coverage for the year ends in July you can enroll in Medigap from May 2020 until the first days of September 2020.

Give us a call during that time to help you switch at no additional cost.

alfred
alfred

I am in medicare advantage thru my former employer since turning 65 last year in July I will be 66 in July of this year 2017, I took medicare advantage thru my former employer because that allowed my wife to stay insured under my old plan until she turns 65 next April 2018. Is there a way both of us can get into Medigap plans and part d plans without having to be underwritten ? Thank you I hope for our sake there is some way to do that we can afford. Again thank you for your help.

Reply to  alfred
Alfred,
Thank you for your question. Since your health plan is job-based and you’re in your first year, you might be able to join a Medigap plan without underwriting. Due to the specificity of your case we would need to discuss all the options for you. Call one of our Senior65 licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.
Bill McDonald
Bill McDonald

My question is related to switching from a Medicare Advantage plan to a Medigap plan…

I see from your website that if I get a Medicare Advantage plan when I first turn 65 that I can change to a Medigap plan (lets assume Plan G) within the first year without any medical underwriting. That is great but my question is, what about Part D? Will I also be able to enroll in a Part D plan without incurring the penalty for not signing up when I first turned 65?

Reply to  Bill McDonald
Bill,
As long as your Medicare Advantage includes drug coverage, you can enroll in a stand-alone drug plan without penalty. If you need help enrolling in Plan G or a drug plan, call one of our Senior65 licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.
Christopher
Christopher

I turned 65 in February and enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan. I was just diagnosed with prostate cancer and have found that my plan has a VERY limited network of doctors I can see. WTH?! Will I able to switch to Medigap without answering medical question? And how soon can I do it?

Reply to  Christopher
Christopher,
If this is your first year in a Medicare Advantage, you should be able to switch to a Medigap plan without having to answer any medical questions. You can enroll in your plan up to 60 days before Jan 1, and you would have a January 1 effective date. Please call one of our Medigap switching experts/licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.
-Eric from https://www.senior65.com/

Greg
Greg

Reply to  Greg
Greg,

Give us a call to help you make the change at no additional cost.

Deborah
Deborah

Thanks for any help

Reply to  Deborah
Deborah,

Give us a call during that time to help you switch at no additional cost.

alfred