How to Switch from Medicare Advantage to Medigap during Special Enrollment Period

Learn how you can switch from an MA plan to Medigap during SEP

by Ray Wilson+ on Feb 02, 2016 | 3 Comments

Share this article!

If you have Medicare Advantage and want to switch to Medigap, there are Special Enrollment Periods that offer guaranteed issuance. You will have to qualify to make the switch, but if you do qualify you will not have to undergo medical underwriting to obtain a Medicare Supplement plan (Medigap).

How to Switch from MA to Medigap During Special Enrollment Period

If you have Medicare Advantage (Part C) you may be able to make the switch to Medigap, without answering medical questions, during a Special Enrollment Period. The chart details specific situations, which plans are available to you, and when you must must make the switch.

Special Enrollment Period Right You can enroll in Medigap plans: Time frame you must apply:
If you have Medicare Advantage and you move out of the plans area or the plan no longer covers your area You can enroll in Medigap plans A, B, C, F, K or L Apply 60 days before coverage ends to 63 days after coverage ends
If your Medicare Advantage plan mislead you or the plan hasn’t followed the rules You can enroll in Medigap plans A, B, C, F, K or L Enroll 60 days before coverage ends to 63 days after coverage ends

Learn More about Medigap Get a Medigap Quote

Click here for other switch from Medicare Advantage to Medicare Supplement scenarios.

For further questions call 800-930-7956.

Print Friendly Version

Share this article!

Reader Comments and Questions

By boris on August 13, 2018

I have a Medicare Advantage Plan in Los Angeles, CA . Pursuant to open heart surgery (valve replacement) i got disability and stay on Union covered -Medicare Advantage plan for me and regular insurance covered for my wife. I'll be 65 years next year,9/19/2019. Could I switch from Medicare advantage to Medicare Supplemental plan. I don't have any health issue.

Yes, you could switch at Medigap when you first turn 65. You will fall under guaranteed enrollment. Please contact us when you are ready to enroll. There is no fee or hidden cost to use our services
-Eric from

By Bob on December 06, 2016

I have a medicare advantage policy right now but I am moving from West Virginia to Maryland at the first of the year. My medicare advantage is not available in Maryland. I would like to go to regular Medicare and buy a Medigap policy, specifically a plan G policy. Is that possible?

If you move out of your Medicare Advantage service area you can enroll in certain Medigap plans (Plan A, B, C, F, K, or L) without answering medical underwriting. Unfortunately, Plan G is not one of them. With that said, you can still apply for Plan G, and see if you qualify. Our Senior65 licensed independent insurance agents are available to help you by calling 800-930-7956.
-Chris from

By Rachel on March 24, 2016

I have a Medicare Advantage plan in NJ but am moving to FL for my retirement. Problem is I'm 71, and have some health issues, as well as, the company I work with offers plans in FL. But, I'd really like to get a Medigap plan. Can I?

Since you are moving out of your plan's coverage area, regardless of the fact that they offer a similar plan in your new state, you can switch to a Medigap plan without having to answer medical questions. Please call one of our Medigap switching experts/licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.
-Michelle from

PLEASE NOTE: We cannot comment on specific Medicare claims. Contact Medicare directly if you are trying to see if your issue is covered.

We will not publish your last name or email if you submit this form.

Share this article!

It's 100% FREE to work with Senior65

Call our licensed agent today at 800-930-7956. Click here to learn 5 great reasons to work with