If you currently have a Medigap plan and want to switch to a different plan, you can do so at any time, but you might have to reapply and answer medical questions before being approved on your new plan. This is called medical underwriting. Click here if you are looking to switch from Medigap Plan F to Plan G.

If you live in a state that offers a Medigap Birthday Rule or Medigap Anniversary rule, you can switch plans every year without having to answer medical questions. There is a catch though: you must do it during designated switching times and your choices may be limited.

By the way, the state of Colorado is offering a switching period for Plan F and Plan C enrollees to switch to Plan G and Plan D.

Which States Allow for Switching without Underwriting?

These states below have laws that will allow you to switch from one Medigap plan to another without answering medical questions. Even if you move to a new insurance company, you will be approved without medical review.

    • California and Oregon have the Medigap Birthday Rule. If you are currently enrolled in a Medigap plan, you can change each year during around the time of your birth month with no medical questions asked. Learn more about the Birthday Rule here. Compare CA Medigap prices here.
    • Maine allows Medigap enrollees to switch at any time of the year.
    • Washington State allows enrollees to switch from any Medigap to any other Medigap except Plan A at any time of the year. Compare WA Medigap prices here.

How to Switch Your Plan During the Medigap Birthday/Anniversary Rule?

As you have seen from the list above, exact switch rules vary based on your state.  The rules can also vary by the insurance providers.  Some insurance companies allow you to submit you application up to 30 days before your Birthday where others require that you must wait until after your birthday has passed.  The earliest start date (AKA effective date) will be the first of the month after your birthday or anniversary month. Call one of our licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956 to help you switch your plan.

Learn More about Medigap Get a Medigap Quote Apply for Medigap

How Can I Switch if I Don’t Have a Medigap Switching Right?

If you don’t live in one of these states above, you can still switch your Medigap plan, and you have lots of options to do it. Nevertheless, sometimes none of them will apply to you and you will need to go through underwriting. Each insurance company asks different questions about your health history during this process. We can help you select an insurance provider that optimizes your chances of approval.

As an extra resource, below is the chart Oregon has created to show which plans you can switch to in that state.

2019 Plan Switching options for Oregon

Current Plan Plan you can switch to
Medigap Plan A Plan A
Medigap Plan B Plans A or B
Medigap Plan C Plans A, B, C, D, K, L, M, or N
Medigap Plan D Plans A, B, D, K, L, M, or N
Medigap Plan F Plans A, B, C, D, F, High F, G, K, L, M, or N
Medigap Plan High Deductible F Plan High F
Medigap Plan G Plans A, B, D, G, K, L, M, or N
Medigap Plan K Plan K
Medigap Plan L Plans K or L
Medigap Plan M Plans M or N
Medigap Plan N Plan N