If you currently have a Medigap plan and want to switch to a different plan, you can do so at any time but you might have to reapply and answer medical questions before being approved on your new plan. This is called medical underwriting. Click here if you are looking to switch from Medigap Plan F to Plan G
If you live in a state that offers a Medigap Birthday Rule or Medigap Anniversary rule, you can switch plans every year without having to answer medical questions. There is a catch: You must do it during designated switching times and your choices may be limited.
Updated 9/19/2019 to reflect new information
Which States Allow for Switching without Underwriting?
These states have laws that will allow you to switch from one Medigap plan to another without answering medical questions. Even if you move to a new insurance company, you will be approved without medical review. See below for each state’s rules:
- California and Oregon have the Medigap Birthday Rule. If you are currently enrolled in a Medigap plan, you can change each year during your birth month with no medical questions asked. Learn more about the Birthday Rule here. Compare CA Medigap prices here.
- Connecticut and New York have guaranteed issuance for all at anytime. Learn more about CT’s and NY’s 100% guaranteed issuance here. Compare CT & NY Medigap prices here.
- Missouri has the Medigap Anniversary Rule. This allows you to switch during the anniversary date of when you first signed up. Learn more about MO’s MO Anniversary Rule here. Compare MO Medigap prices here.
- Maine allows Medigap enrollees to switch at any time of the year.
- Washington allows enrollees to switch from any Medigap to any other Medigap except Plan A at any time of the year. Compare WA Medigap prices here.
How to Switch Your Plan During the Medigap Birthday/Anniversary Rule?
You can apply to switch your Medigap plan 30 days before or after your birthday or anniversary month. The earliest start date will be the first of the month after your birthday or anniversary month. Call one of our licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956 to help you switch your plan.
How Can I Switch if I Don’t Have a Medigap Switching Right?
There are only a few states that allow designated switching months: California, Oregon, and Missouri. Some states let you switch at any time. They are New York, Connecticut, Maine and Washington State.
If you don’t live in one of these states above, you can still switch your Medigap plan. You will usually, however, be required to answer medical questions. If you don’t qualify for the Medigap Birthday or Anniversary rule, give us a call at the number above, and one of our switching experts will be able to help make a smooth transition into a new Medigap plan. We will help you select a plan that offers the best chance of approval and we can help you apply right over the phone.
In Oregon they have created the chart below to show which plans you can switch to.
Which Medigap Plans Can I Switch to During My Birthday/Anniversary Rule?
2019 Plan Switching options for Oregon
|Current Plan||Plan you can switch to|
|Medigap Plan A||Plan A|
|Medigap Plan B||Plans A or B|
|Medigap Plan C||Plans A, B, C, D, K, L, M, or N|
|Medigap Plan D||Plans A, B, D, K, L, M, or N|
|Medigap Plan F||Plans A, B, C, D, F, High F, G, K, L, M, or N|
|Medigap Plan High Deductible F||Plan High F|
|Medigap Plan G||Plans A, B, D, G, K, L, M, or N|
|Medigap Plan K||Plan K|
|Medigap Plan L||Plans K or L|
|Medigap Plan M||Plans M or N|
|Medigap Plan N||Plan N|