Blue Shield of California is now offering Medicare Supplement (Medigap) Plan F Extra with hearing and vision benefits. Following the lead of Anthem Innovative F launched last year, Blue Shield now has a Medigap Plan F extra with extra benefits that are not covered by traditional Plan F benefits. So just to clarify this has the same exact network of doctors and medical coverage as every other Medigap plan F but also includes the benefits below.
For a limited time, Blue Shield of California is allowing ANY current Medigap or Medicare Advantage plan holder to switch to Medicare Supplement Plan F Extra or Plan G Extra without answering medical questions. This period is taking place from December 1st 2019 to February 15th 2020.
Besides, as of July 1, 2020, a standardized plan and an Innovative plan are considered equal in benefits. This means if you have a standard F you can switch to Innovative F or F extra during the California Birthday Rule.
This article was updated on November 12, 2019 to reflect new information.
What does Blue Shield F Extra include?
- SILVER SNEAKERS Comes with a membership to Silver Sneakers gym program
- ROUTINE EYE EXAM (Every 12 Months) Plan pays 100% after $20 copayment
- GLASS FRAMES (Every 24 Months) Plan pays up to $100 allowance for frames
- GLASS LENSES (Every 12 Months) Plan pays 100% after $25 copay
- CONTACTS (Every 12 Months) Plan pays up to 100%
- HEARING EXAM (Every 12 Months) Plan pays 100%
- HEARING AIDS (Every Year) Plan offers you discount on two Vista Hearing aid models
-Vista 610 model you pay $499
-Vista 810 model you pay $799
Vista hearing aids are available in the following styles:
- In the ear
- In the canal
- Invisible in canal
- Behind the ear
- Receiver in the ear
No cost for Hearing aid fittings, counseling, and adjustments
– Ear impressions & molds
– Hearing aid device checks
– Two-year supply of batteries per hearing aid
– Three-year extended warranty on some models
Personal Emergency Response System (PERS) – Your PERS benefits are provided by Lifestation.
- One personal emergency response system
- Choice of an in-home system or mobile device with GPS/WiFi
- Monthly monitoring
- Necessary chargers and cords
You can also Compare Anthem Blue Cross Innovative F vs HealthNet Innovative F vs Blue Shield F Extra. If you are new to Medicare after January 1, 2020 you will not be able to purchase any Medigap F including Blue Shield F Extra. Good News: They now offer Medigap Innovative G in Nevada and Medigap G Extra in California.