Blue Shield of California is now offering Medicare Supplement (Medigap) Plan F Extra with hearing and vision benefits. Following the lead of Anthem Innovative F launched last year, Blue Shield now has a Medigap Plan F Extra with additional benefits that are not covered by traditional Plan F. So just to clarify this has the same exact network of doctors and medical coverage as every other Medigap plan F but also includes the benefits below.
Blue Shield often opens up period of time when they let everyone enroll in their Medigap F Extra so be sure to check regularly for updates on this possibility.
Besides, as of July 1, 2020, a standardized plan and an Innovative plan are considered equal in benefits. This means if you have a standard F you can switch to Innovative F or F extra during the California Birthday Rule.
This article was updated on November 12, 2019 to reflect new information.
What does Blue Shield F Extra include?
- SILVER SNEAKERS Comes with a membership to Silver Sneakers gym program
- ROUTINE EYE EXAM (Every 12 Months) Plan pays 100% after $20 copayment
- GLASS FRAMES (Every 24 Months) Plan pays up to $100 allowance for frames
- GLASS LENSES (Every 12 Months) Plan pays 100% after $25 copay
- CONTACTS (Every 12 Months) Plan pays up to 100%
- HEARING EXAM (Every 12 Months) Plan pays 100%
- HEARING AIDS (Every Year) Plan offers you discount on two Vista Hearing aid models
-Vista 610 model you pay $499
-Vista 810 model you pay $799
More on Blue Shield F Extra Hearing Aids
Vista hearing aids are available in the following styles:
- In the ear
- In the canal
- Invisible in canal
- Behind the ear
- Receiver in the ear
No cost for Hearing aid fittings, counseling, and adjustments
– Ear impressions & molds
– Hearing aid device checks
– Two-year supply of batteries per hearing aid
– Three-year extended warranty on some models
Personal Emergency Response System (PERS) – Your PERS benefits are provided by Lifestation.
- One personal emergency response system
- Choice of an in-home system or mobile device with GPS/WiFi
- Monthly monitoring
- Necessary chargers and cords
You can also Compare Anthem Blue Cross Innovative F vs HealthNet Innovative F vs Blue Shield F Extra. If you are new to Medicare after January 1, 2020 you will not be able to purchase any Medigap F including Blue Shield F Extra. However, you are still able to purchase Medigap Innovative G in Nevada or Medigap G Extra and Medigap Innovative G in California. This last plan features chiropractic/acupuncture benefits.