When Will My Medigap Start?

Learn your Medigap effective date

Medicare Supplement, also known as Medigap, is supplemental insurance that fills in the gaps of Original Medicare. If you have decided that a Medigap policy is the right insurance for you, then you will want to sign up when you’re first eligible.

What is the Medigap Initial Enrollment Period?

Medigap’s initial enrollment is a one-time 6-month application time period that guarantees that you will be approved for a Medigap. If you miss the initial enrollment window you will usually have to answer health questions and could be denied coverage.

When is the Medigap Initial Enrollment Period?

Medigap initial enrollment usually starts the first of the month when you turn 65*, and runs for six months. You can, however, apply up to three months before your 65th birthday so that your Medigap start date will match your Medicare Part B start date. The same happens if you live in a state where you are under 65 but able to get Medigap.

If you chose to delay your Medicare Part B enrollment because you have creditable coverage (usually job-based insurance), the 6 month initial enrollment period begins on your Part B effective date. Try our Medicare deadline calculator to help you figure out when to apply for Medicare health plans.

When you sign up for Medigap*: When your Medigap effective will begin:
3 months before your 65th birth month The 1st of your 65th birth month
During your birth month The 1st of the following month
During your 65th birth month The 1st of the following month
During the 5 months after your 65th birth month The 1st of the following month

*This whole chart assumes your Part B effective date is active

Learn More about Medigap Get a Medigap Quote

What if you Miss the Medigap Initial Enrollment Period?

If you miss your initial enrollment period you’ll usually have to go through medical underwriting unless you live in CT and NY or you qualify for a few special enrollment. Medical underwriting just means you’ll have to answer medical questions before you will be approved. If you have certain preexisting conditions, you could be denied or charged more. Don’t give up hope! There are some companies that are easier to get approved from than others. We at Senior65 consider ourselves the Medigap enrollment experts. We can help you choose a company that will work best for your health and financial needs, call our licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.

*Notes:

• If you were eligible for Part B early due to a disability, you will have a new initial enrollment period when you turn 65.
  • If your birthday falls on the first of the month both your Medicare part B and Medigap plan can start the first of the month preceding your 65th birthday
  • If you chose not to delay Medicare Part B, but have creditable coverage, when you leave that coverage you will have 63 days to enroll in a handful of Medigap plans

Ken
Ken
2 months ago

My brother is on disability, his Medicare starts Jan 1 2021 , when should he sign up for medigap coverage? He will have part A and B coverage !

2 months ago
Reply to  Ken

Ken,
Even though his coverage will start with Medicare in January, he can start the enrollment process from November on. Give us a call to help. We work with the top Medigap providers and charge nothing for our services.

Dimitrios
Dimitrios
2 months ago

On January 9 2021 I will be 65 years old and on April 4th 2021 my wife too. I am working and have insurance coverage for both of us. Will like to start Medicare coverage for both of us on April 1st 2021. When should I and my wife apply to be able to start having coverage, together, with part AB and medigap?

2 months ago
Reply to  Dimitrios

Dimitrios,
Our recommendation would be for you to enroll in Part A around one month before you turn 65 so that coverage starts on your birthday. Then you can start the special enrollment process for your Medicare Part B also around one month before your desired start date. Medicare should allow you to pick your start date in the future so you can time it to match when your work coverage ends.

If your wife is not automatically enrolled into Medicare, she should enroll on her initial enrollment period, starting two months before her birthday.

Once you enroll in Medicare, give us a call to help you get Medigap. We charge nothing for our services.

Dee
Dee
3 months ago

I turned 65 in June 2020. My Part A was effective June 1st. My Part B will be effective Nov 1st.
Am I still in my Guaranteed Enrollment Period /won’t need underwriting if I begin Medigap on Nov 1st?

3 months ago
Reply to  Dee

Hello Dee,
Yes, you are. You get 6 months after your birthday month to enroll in Medigap without medical underwriting.

Give us a call to help you enroll or get a quote here. We charge nothing for our services.

Linda
Linda

How ;omg to get approved when buying Medigap? I turn 65 August 19th and I am just starting this confusing process. I did not know it would be so hard otherwise I would have started earlier, Thank you/

Reply to  Linda
Linda,
It is confusing but we are to help! We have good news. You are guaranteed to be approved by Medigap if you enroll during the 9 month period between the three months before you turn 65, the month of your birthday, and the five months after.

This means right now you are in that period. Give us call and we can help you enroll at no cost.

Diane
Diane

I will be eligible for medicare on July 1 (my birthday is July 19). When I called the insurance company that I wanted to get my Medigap through they told me that I would not be eligible until August 1st. Do all insurance companies do this? Thank you very much!

Reply to  Diane
Hello Diane,
That’s a definite no. You should be able to enroll in Medigap up to three months before July 1st aka your Part B Effective Date.

Give us a call and we can help you enroll at no cost.

James
James

If my birthday is August 1st, can I begin my Medicare Part G July 1st?

Reply to  James
James,
YES!!! Given that your birthday is on the 1st of the month you should be able to start your Medicare Part B and your Medigap Plan a month prior to your birthday.

We can start the application process as early as May 1st. When you are ready to enroll in Medigap, please give us a call. Our service is free of charge to you.
-MIchelle from Senior65.com

Reply to  Linda
Linda,

Diane
Diane

Reply to  Diane
Hello Diane,

Give us a call and we can help you enroll at no cost.

James
James

If my birthday is August 1st, can I begin my Medicare Part G July 1st?

Reply to  James