Share on facebook

What is Medigap?

Medigap: Covers, Costs, and Eligiblity
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Original Medicare covers the basics for boomers but can leave some major gaps in coverage. This is where Medigap kicks in.

What is Medigap?

Medigap is Medicare Supplemental insurance. That basically means you keep Original Medicare but Medigap helps to cover costs that Medicare does not pay for.

What does Medigap Cover?

There are 10 Medigap plans that vary how/if they cover a service. Here’s a list of what the most comprehensive plan, Medigap Plan F, covers:

  • Extends hospitalization by 365 days
  • Covers 1st 3 pints of blood
  • Medicare Part A & B deductibles
  • Hospital coinsurance
  • Skilled Nursing coinsurance
  • Hospice coinsurance
  • Part B coinsurance and copays
  • Part B excess charges
  • Foreign emergency healthcare
  • Nationwide coverage

When to Enroll in Medigap?

You’ll want to enroll when you’re first eligible: period automatically starts the month you’re 65 and enrolled in Medicare Part B.

Do Preexisting Conditions Affect Medigap Enrollment?

Not during your open enrollment period, but after your first six months you are subject to medical underwriting, as well as your premium could be much higher. It should be noted that it can be very difficult to enroll after your initial period.

How Much Does Medigap Cost?

There are 10 Medigap plans available that vary from basic to comprehensive coverage, therefore the cost can vary quite a bit. The good news is Medigap plans are standardized so that each lettered plan A-N is equal to its counterpart in coverage, so you only have to compare plans based off price.

For further questions about Medigap call the number above or click here to get an instant Medigap quote.

Related Articles:
Stay in Touch

Subscribe to be always on top of news on Medicare, Medigap, Medicare Advantage, Part D and more!

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
4 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Dennis
Guest
Dennis
1 year ago

I’m 88 have Medicare A and B. Also I have Cigna HMO. Does Medigap offer anything more than I have now

Senior65
Agent
Senior65
1 year ago
Reply to  Dennis
Hello Dennis,
As the article says, Medigap is Medicare Supplemental insurance. That basically means you keep Original Medicare but Medigap helps to cover costs that Medicare does not pay for. Medicare usually covers 80% of your costs while Medigap covers the other 20%.

Medigap tipically has a much larger network of doctors and depending on the plan, less out of pocket expenses. Please check this article about Medigap Pros and Cons.

If you give us a call we can go over plans and make an informed recommendation about what is best for your case at no additional cost.

-Chris from Senior65.com

PAT
Guest
PAT
2 years ago

PRESENTLY ON HUMANA MEDICARE. PRESENTLY 64 AND ON DISABILITY PLAN C. I AM PAYING OVER 500 PER MONTH. WILL I HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY FOR OPEN ENROLLMENT?
ALSO DOES MEDIGAP PLAN F INCLUDE SILVER SNEAKERS?

Senior65
Agent
Senior65
2 years ago
Reply to  PAT
Pat,
Yes, once you turn 65 and you have Medicare Part B (which you already do) it will trigger a guaranteed issue for any Medigap plan. Some Medigap plan F’s include silver sneakers. Give us a call and we can help you identify the right plan and enroll right over the phone.
-Michelle from Senior65.com
We never charge for our services
We guarantee the lowest price allowed by law.

Senior65 is appointed to sell plans by carriers including:

Switch your Medigap without underwriting
Blue Shield offers Medigap without health questions for a limited time.

Looking for a Quote?

Open Enrollment Ends in:
Featured Articles:

Switch your Medigap plan without answering health questions for a limited time.

Plan F covers the Medicare Part B deductible and Plan G doesn’t. But that is not the whole story.

Learn about the average costs of different Medigap plans and what can affect them, whether it is your location, age or even company.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
4 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Dennis
Guest
Dennis
1 year ago

I’m 88 have Medicare A and B. Also I have Cigna HMO. Does Medigap offer anything more than I have now

Senior65
Agent
Senior65
1 year ago
Reply to  Dennis
Hello Dennis,
As the article says, Medigap is Medicare Supplemental insurance. That basically means you keep Original Medicare but Medigap helps to cover costs that Medicare does not pay for. Medicare usually covers 80% of your costs while Medigap covers the other 20%.

Medigap tipically has a much larger network of doctors and depending on the plan, less out of pocket expenses. Please check this article about Medigap Pros and Cons.

If you give us a call we can go over plans and make an informed recommendation about what is best for your case at no additional cost.

-Chris from Senior65.com

PAT
Guest
PAT
2 years ago

PRESENTLY ON HUMANA MEDICARE. PRESENTLY 64 AND ON DISABILITY PLAN C. I AM PAYING OVER 500 PER MONTH. WILL I HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY FOR OPEN ENROLLMENT?
ALSO DOES MEDIGAP PLAN F INCLUDE SILVER SNEAKERS?

Senior65
Agent
Senior65
2 years ago
Reply to  PAT
Pat,
Yes, once you turn 65 and you have Medicare Part B (which you already do) it will trigger a guaranteed issue for any Medigap plan. Some Medigap plan F’s include silver sneakers. Give us a call and we can help you identify the right plan and enroll right over the phone.
-Michelle from Senior65.com
We never charge for our services
We guarantee the lowest price allowed by law.