As you are trying to figure out which Medigap plan is right for you, you will surely encounter the fact that all Medigap plans have standardized benefits and doctor networks. This means that you can select a Medigap insurance provider based on who offers the best price. You should calculate the best price ONLY after factoring in all discounts. The Medigap Household Discount is one of the many discounts that you can get with Medicare Supplements and we will explain it in detail below.
Medigap Household discounts has been in the news lately since Accendo Insurance Company (ACC), part of the CVS Health® family of companies and Aetna affiliate, recently announced a 14% household premium discount in many states, which is way above the industry average.
What is a Medigap Household Discount?
The Medigap Household Discount refers to a percentage discount off your monthly Medicare Supplement premium when two people from the same address are both enrolled with the same Medigap insurance company. The amounts and requirements can vary greatly between state and carrier.
Typical eligibility requirements:
- You must apply for a Medigap plan at the same time as another Medicare eligible adult or the other Medicare-eligible adult must currently be covered by a Medicare Supplement with the company.
- The Medicare-eligible adult must be either (a) your spouse; (b) be someone with whom you are in a civil union partnership; or (c) be a permanent resident in your home.
- The household discount will only be applicable if a policy for each applicant is issued.
- The discounted rate will apply as long as both policies remain in force.
What is the usual household discount?
While many insurance providers do not offer Household discounts, the industry average is usually 5% to 7%. Accendo’s current 14% offer is the highest that we have seen and is only available in some states. Want to find out who has the best Household discount in your area? Give us a call and we will help review all discounts to see which is the best and lowest price plan for you.
Are there any other discounts offered by Medigap?
Glad you asked. Let’s do a quick recap on potential Medigap discounts out there:
- New to Medicare Discount: this ranges from $0 to $30 off a month for one year for those new to Medicare.
- Autopay DIscount: around $3.
- Silver Sneakers: Free or discounted gym membership.
How to choose the best Medigap plan?
We at Senior65.com can help you enroll in the Medigap plan that makes the most sense to you including helping you identify the best discounts. Best of all, we charge nothing for our services. Just give us a call at 800-930-7956 or apply online if you prefer.
Get Instant Rates
Check out what your exact price for Medigap, MA or Part D would be.Click Here