Medicare does cover preventive services and screenings. We have compiled a list of screenings for Medicare enrollees. You will want to remember that some screenings and preventive services have specific guidelines to qualify for, and may have additional costs.
Does Medicare cover Preventive Services and Screenings?
Yes, it does. And, while some of the following Medicare preventive services and screenings will be covered at no cost to you, many do require you to pay your Part B deductible, copay, and coinsurance. And even some preventive services that are $0, will require you to pay out of pocket costs if the test requires a biopsy, diagnostic testing, or additional testing. Medicare costs at a glance will explain what can be owed.
List of Medicare Preventive Services and Screenings
Medicare Part B will cover all or part of the following services and screenings (remember you may owe your Part B deductible, copays, and 20% coinsurance):
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening
- Alcohol misuse screenings & counseling
- Bone mass measurements (bone density)
- Cardiovascular disease screenings
- Cardiovascular disease (behavioral therapy)
- Cervical & vaginal cancer screening
- Colorectal cancer screenings
- Depression screenings
- Diabetes screenings
- Diabetes self-management training
- Glaucoma tests
- Hepatitis C screening test
- HIV screening
- Lung cancer screening
- Mammograms (screening)
- Nutrition therapy services
- Obesity screenings & counseling
- Sexually transmitted infections screening & counseling
- Shots: Flu shots, Hepatitis B shots, Pneumococcal shots
- Tobacco use cessation counseling
- Yearly “Wellness” visit
Does Medigap Cover Preventive Services and Screenings?
Yes, Medigap covers preventive services and screenings. Like we said, while some preventive care above requires that you pay your Part B deductible, copays, and coinsurance -this is where Medigap kicks in. Medigap can pay all or part of these costs by covering your Part B deductible, copays, and coinsurance.
Does Medicare Advantage Cover Preventive Services and Screenings?
Yes, Medicare Advantage does cover preventive services and screenings. But remember that some services and screenings require that you pay out of pocket -this gets a little more complicated with Medicare Advantage, because it covers services differently from one plan to another, you’ll need to research what costs you’ll pay with each plan.
To learn more about how a Medicare Advantage plan or Medigap can limit your spending for diagnostic exams call one of our licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.