Millions of people have diabetes, however many people are unaware they have it. Medicare offers $0 diabetes screenings for those at risk.
Medicare Diabetes Screening Eligibility
Medicare covers these tests if you have any of these risk factors:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- History of abnormal cholesterol and triglyceride levels (dyslipidemia)
- History of high blood sugar (glucose)
Medicare also covers these tests if 2 or more of these apply to you:
- Age 65 or older
- Family history of diabetes (parents, brothers, sisters)
- History of gestational diabetes (diabetes during pregnancy), or delivery of a baby weighing more than 9 pounds
How Does Medicare Cover Diabetes Supplies?
If your screening shows that you have Diabetes, Medicare will cover a percentage of many of your supplies*, including test strips, monitors, control solutions, and, sometimes, footwear. You are responsible for 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for these supplies. Remember there is no limit on your Medicare out-of-pocket spending. The majority of Medigap plans will cover diabetes supplies at no cost.
Medicare also offers diabetes self-management training. Through this training you will be taught how to monitor your blood sugar, control your diet, exercise, and manage your prescriptions.
*The majority of prescription drugs are not covered by Original Medicare. To be fully covered you’ll want to enroll in a Prescription Drug Plan.
To learn about how to cover your diabetes costs through Medigap call the number above or contact Senior65.