Medigap: Dental and Vision Coverage Explained

Learn if Medicare Supplement covers dental and vision care
Many of our clients want to know if their Medigap plan offers any coverage for vision or dental. It’s actually broken up into routine care and serious emergencies/issues. The quick answer is sometimes Medigap covers your dental and vision, and sometimes it doesn’t. We’ll explain below.

Medigap and Vision Care

While Medigap will cover cataract surgery costs , or serious vision issues, most vision care (eye exams, glasses, contacts) is not covered by Medigap. For routine care, you can get a stand alone vision plan.

Learn More about Medigap Get a Medigap Quote

Medigap and Dental Care

Neither Medicare nor Medigap cover routine dental care such as teeth cleaning, fillings and tooth extractions. However, there is coverage for emergency oral surgery that takes place in the hospital. Medigap can cover your Part A deductible and coinsurance.

How to Get SeniorDental and Vision

If you do not already have stand-alone dental or vision, you can enroll in a plan at any time. You may also want to consider a bundled dental and vision plan which sometimes saves you money. Click here to get a senior dental and vision quote or call us at 800-930-7956 and we can help you find plans in your area.

Rebecca
Rebecca

I’m 58 years old been disabled since 2014. I have Medicare n Medicaid but nothing on vision n dental. My income is extremely low. I haven’t had new glasses in 3 years. When I was working I got crowns n bridges now most teeth need root canals. I have 4 jaw bone diseases. No teeth would cause major problems. I’m stressed beyond. No help no where.

Vicki
Vicki

Retiring soon, comparing medigap and advantage programs. Could you clarity some things for me?
1. Am I correct in thinking medigap plan will cover 20% that Medicare does not cover as well as co-pays and deductibles?
2. Does medigap plan have out-of-pocket maximum? Does medigap plan cover the Medicare max out-of-pocket?
3. If I select Advantage plan, then change my mind 3 years into it, can I change to a medigap plan during an open enrollment period without underwriting?

Reply to  Vicki
Vicki,
See our answers below:
1) Medigap Plan F will cover the 20% medicare doesn’t cover, all copay, deductibles and excess charges that Medicare does not pay. Other plans (such as Plan G) may not cover all deductibles but cost less.

2) Medicare and most Medigap plans do not have an out-of-pocket maximum. Plans K and L do.

3) If you would like to change from Medicare Advantage (MA) to Medigap after 3 years you would have to go through medical underwriting and answer health questions on your application. Exceptions to this rule fall under special enrollment such as moving outside the service area of your MA plan.

Whew! Hope that helps. If you do plan on signing up for a plan, please considering working with our team at Senior65. There is no fee or hidden cost and we guaranteed the lowest price by law.

-Chris from senior65.com

Camille
Camille

I have Medicare parts A and B plus a supplement for all non covered services and a prescription plan. I would like a dental plan that includes basic services including x-rays, crowns etc. I also need one that does not have a waiting period. I am in North Carolina.
Thanks!

Reply to  Camille
Camille,
You can see
dental plans and prices here. Give us a call if you would like one of our licensed independent agents help you identify the right plan for you.

Most all dental plans have some sort of waiting period but usually it depends on the procedure. For example, there are many that have no waiting periods for a check up but will have a 6 months waiting for crowns.
-Michelle for Senior65.com

dennis
dennis

I’m only looking for a premium dental plan that covers orthodontics as well as normal dental coverage of cleaning, whitening, crowns etc. I don’t need a supplement plan for medicare as I also have VA medical. If you have some plans that I can look at for Hawaii (zip 96740) on the Big Island please forward. Don’t send me a plan that tells me I have to wait for 12 months for major services. Mahalo!

Reply to  dennis
Sorry Dennis,

We do not have any dental plans available in Hawaii that meet your criteria and include ortho, teeth whitening and have no waiting periods.

regards,
-Michelle at Senior65.com

Penelope Aria
Penelope Aria

So with Plan F I’ll pay about $150 a month AND that doesn’t cover dental, vision or drugs?? So, I have to pay another $60-100 for that, plus my Part B. Do they think I’m made of money? Well, I’m not. I’m on a fixed income, and can’t not even afford the F premium or any of the Medigap premiums. How can I get all of this for less?

Reply to  Penelope Aria
Penelope,
If certain Medigap plans are out of your budget, you may want to consider a Medigap Select plan. Select plans offer lower monthly premiums with the same network of doctors, but a smaller network of hospitals. If that is still not within your price range, you may want to consider a Medicare Advantage plan that can add extras like drug, dental, vision, and hearing coverage, and have a low monthly premium. For help with Medigap or Medicare Advantage plans call one of our Senior65 licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.

Rebecca