Medigap: Attained-Age vs. Issue-Age vs. Community Rated

Learn the different ways your Medigap policy premium is rated.
Now that you’re 65, enrolled in Medicare, and decided on a Medigap policy, you’ll want to know how your insurer chooses to charge for the policy. There are three ways that a Medicare Supplement plan charges: Attained-Age rated, Issue-Age rated, and Community rated. However, these may not actually be any different. We’ll explain.

Attained-Age Rated Medigap Plan

Enrolling in this type of plan means your rate is based on your current age and will continue to increase as you get older. If you enroll in a Medigap policy at 65 with a rate of $120, your premium may increase to $132 when you turn 69, and $165 at 72. The plan’s rate may also increase due to inflation and other factors.

Issue-Age Rated Medigap Plan

With this plan your rate is based on the age you are first issued coverage. If at 65 your plan’s premium is $120, it may stay at $120 at 72. But if you were to enroll at 72 your plan’s premium might start at $165, and would not be increased by your age. Premiums may go up due to inflation, but it will never go up because of your age.

Community Rated Medigap Plan

With this plan the community will all be charged the same rate if enrolled in the same plan. If you enroll in a plan at 65 or 72 you would be charged the same rate. Premiums can go up, but age will not be a factor in an increased Medigap premium.

Which Medigap Premium Rated Plan is Best?

While we think that understanding the difference between Medigap pricing options is good to know, the point is somewhat moot because all plans currently on the market increase as you age.

Almost every insurance company only sells Age-Attained plans. The few Community Rated plans available often offer discounted rates for younger members so the price increases as you age since the discount is less each year. Therefore the recommended route is to choose the plan that offers the best rate when you first enroll and has a history of smaller rate increases for older members.

Remember when choosing a Medigap plan you want to choose based on the comprehensiveness of the plan, the reputation of the insurer and the price.

For further questions about Medigap rates call the number above.

Learn More about Medigap Get a Medigap Quote Apply for Medigap

Gregg
Gregg

If I have a Plan G with carrier A in 2019 and then during open enrollment I want to move my Plan G to carrier B (for better price or quality of service) will I have to answer the medical questions from carrier B in order to purchase Plan G from carrier B?

Reply to  Gregg
Gregg,
There is no open enrollment for Medigap. You can switch companies at any time but you will usually have to go through medical underwriting. Learn about a few exceptions to this rule here in our Medigap switching article.

Give us a call to help you through the process and get you enrolled.

Florence
Florence

We are still shopping agents, plans and carriers. One agent told us he could write me with an insurer now, I turn 65 in Oct . Then cancel and rewrite me in January with the same insurer since I will still be in my window, also writing hubby’s policy who turns 65 in April. He said this way we will get the HH discount with the insurer as we both have to apply at the same time for HH discount? This way I will now be attained age and hubby will be issue age?

Reply to  Florence
Florence,
We at Senior65.com are independent agents. We hope we are in the running to serve as your agent. We would not give that advice above. We know of no insurance providers that require both clients to apply for Medigap at the same time to get the HH discount.

In fact, Mutual of Omaha only requires that you have someone over 60 that lives in the same house to get their HH discount. That person doesn’t even have to purchase insurance! That is an extreme example but I wouldn’t recommend jumping through a lot of hoops to get the HH discount when so many providers make it easy to add a person at a later date to get the discount. Give us a call and give us a chance to earn your business. We guarantee that the plans we sell are the lowest price available and we never charge for our services.

Jack Jenkins
Jack Jenkins

I am 67 and presently enrolled in Plan F. I see that several companies offer Plan F at lower rates than I presently pay. Can I switch companies to get the lower rate while maintaining plan F? What traps do I need to be aware of? I don’t want to lose access to Plan F.

Reply to  Jack Jenkins
Jack,
You definitely can. Give us a call and we can get you the lowest rate allowed by law. We charge nothing for our services.

We can discuss your concerns before switching.

Pamela A
Pamela A

Are there any companies that use issue-age rate method for Medigap insurance in PA?

Reply to  Pamela A
Pamela,
Most companies rate plans as Attained Age. Give us a call and we can see if there are any issued age rated plans in your county.
James
James

This is my first time buying Medigap. Decided on Plan G. Since i am diabetic I am concerned about rate increase in that my rates maybe extreme if I change plans a few years from now. I am looking to compare historic rate increase for two companies and can not find anything on line. Is this information available outside of a broker?

Reply to  James
James,
Thanks for contacting us. While no one knows what future prices will be, we can help you select a company that will be the best short term and long term fit. We look at rate sheets, market share and, if available, historical records to help clients make an informed decision. Give us a call and we can go over your case in detail.
Julie
Julie

Is it true that once you sign on with a Medigap insurance company, you are locked in to that state’s rate and rate increases? In other words, if you move to another state do your premium’s change to that state’s premiums or the state that you bought the policy in has portability anywhere in the US?
I have heard both yes and no to this question from different agents. Please advise,

Reply to  Julie
Hi Julie,
If you enrolled in a Medigap plan in one state but move to another your monthly premium could increase if your new home area has more expensive Medigap rates. In some cases your price can also go down. To learn more check out our article What Happens to My Medigap if I Move?

Each Medicare Supplement insurance company has different rules for supporting their clients when they move out of state. This may be the reason why you are hearing conflicting information.

Alan
Alan

I am totally befuddled. I currently have Med Advantage insurance started in 2017. In this enrollment period, I can choose to go to Medigap policy or stay. All worksheets show that I should stay on Advantage… Other than staying “in Network”, having Medicare Part C, and lower monthly premiums, what could I gain from say a G supplement plan?

Reply to  Alan
Alan,
G usually offers a better network of doctors, less copays and fewer referrals to see a specialist required than most Medicare Advantage plans but Medigap typically cost more than MA.

Here are two good articles for you:
Medigap Pro and Cons
Medigap vs Medicare Advantage
Hope that helps,
J
J

Is there any chance that folks on Medigap F will be allowed to change without medical underwriting once F is no longer available to new enrollees? Or folks on F will simply be converted to G by adding a deductible?

Reply to  J
Those already on F will not be converted to G after 2020. They will be able to stay on their current plan for as long as they like. If they would like to switch to G, it is up to their current provider whether they would need to go through medical underwriting. Based on history, almost all providers will require those trying to move plans will have to answer medical questions.

If you would like to compare Plan G and F cost, you can get a quote here.
-Amy from Senior65.com

Connie
Connie

How can I find out if Mutual of Omaha issues attained-age or issue-age medigap supplement insurance?

Reply to  Connie
Connie,
This information varies by state. Give us a call and we can help you research pricing options for all providers in your area.
We can help you enroll in a plan and there is never a fee for our service . -Michelle from Senior65.com
Madeleine
Madeleine

We are thinking of changing Medigap insurance, like from a Plan N to Plan G.
Birthday for my husband is April 26, my birthday is May28.
If I do this now, before April 26, can I lock in insurance rate for Walter for age 71, since we apply before birthday. Effective date of policy will be May 1.
Or will insurance use age at effective date of policy.

Reply to  Madeleine
Madeleine,
Good question. Your Medicare Supplement rate will be based on effective rate. Another thing to remember, plans can raise their rates up to two times per year. If you need help finding the right Medigap Plan G to switch to, call one of our Senior65 licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.
-Chris from https://www.senior65.com/
Marcy Gilbert
Marcy Gilbert

I would like to find an issue age Plan for the state of Ks. I will be 65 in April.

Reply to  Marcy Gilbert
Marcy,
Thank you for your question. Remember that most Medigap issue age plans start off more expensive than other plans, and may not actually save you money over time. Our suggestion, is to compare rates now, and historically how rates have increased. If you would like help researching Medigap plans, call one of our Senior65 licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.
Barbara Shank
Barbara Shank

Moved my 81 yr mother in law from Alabama to Florida to live with us because she can no longer live alone. She had BCBS of AL and now we had to change her to BSBS of FL. Her plan almost doubled $140 to $277 per month. They made her go in at issue age and not attained age even though she had coverage since 65. If she had been given credit for coverage since 65 her monthly premium would only be about $195. She is on a very “fixed income”, so we are having to help with this. This seems so unfair to the elderly, what do the ones do that have no family help. I guess pay insurance or medicines and don’t eat. The Government should be ashamed.

Rachel
Rachel

Are there any “issue age” or “community rated” medicare supplement companies in SC?

Reply to  Rachel
Rachel,
There may be some available, however, in South Carolina, we can only help you enroll in age-attained plans. If you would like help finding out about plans in your area, please call one of our Senior65 licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.
Victoria
Victoria

How can I research the history of rate increase on the insurance company I select for my medigap policy?

Reply to  Victoria
Victoria,
We’d be happy to help you find out how a Medigap company has historically increased its rates. Please contact one of our licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.
tommy holloman
tommy holloman

Currently have BCBS plan f at 173.00 per month…Can’t find any info on issue age info on any North Carolina plans and whether these type plans may benefit me at age 68….Help…

Reply to  tommy holloman
Tommy,
We’d be happy to help you find a plan with a good price your area. We would need more info, such as DOB, zip code, county, and if you use tobacco. Please contact one of Senior65 Medigap switching experts/licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.
-Eric from https://www.senior65.com/
Mary Van Fleet
Mary Van Fleet

I’m in the process of purchasing my 1st Medicare Plan, probably Medigap. However, in reading the “Guaranteed Issue Rights & Medigap Plans” statement, I became confused. It says “if you have opted out of your employer sponsored medical coverage, federal law cannot guarantee your coverage for Medigap insurance during this Initial Coverage Enrollment Period”. What does this mean? I currently do not work, but am thinking of getting a job, either before this insurance begins or at some later date. Must I avoid ALL employers who offer health insurance? I do NOT want to lose this Medigap insurance because it’s being initially financed by my pension system.. Please help clarify.

Reply to  Mary Van Fleet
Mary,
When you first turn 65, you 100% have guaranteed issuance for Medigap (even if you are offered job based insurance). If you work, you do not have to take your employer’s plan, but you may want to enroll in their plan, since they may pay toward benefits, and you’ll probably want to delay Part B. If you do not delay Part B, when you leave your employer’s sponsored plan, you may have a limited selection of lettered Medigap plans that offer guaranteed issuance.

For further assistance, call one of our licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.

Gary Gillespie
Gary Gillespie

Can you let me know if your company offers a community rated or issue-age rated medigap policy in our zip code, 36344?

Reply to  Gary Gillespie
Gary,
We do offer community rated plans; however, there are very few companies that offer issue-age rated Medigap plans, and we don’t offer in any state. But remember that the way to choose a plan is not on how it is rated, but rather the price when you initially enroll, and how the plan historically increases its price over the years. We can help you find a plan that has the most stable rate in your area. Please call one of our licensed independent agents at 800-930-7956.
-Eric from https://www.senior65.com/
Lee
Lee

Hello,
Do different plans determine if the plan is attained age or issue age? Or how is that determined?

Reply to  Lee
Lee,
The insurance company determines how the plan is rated, however, in New York, all plans are community rated. To learn more about Medigap plans call one of our licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.
Lisa Lanza
Lisa Lanza

I turn 65 on June 9, 1951.

My zip code is 33763.

I am not sure if I want Medigap or an Advantage Plan

Reply to  Lisa Lanza
Lisa,
We are happy to help you make your decision between Medigap and Medicare Advantage. Start with Medigap vs Medicare Advantage plans, then call one our licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956 for further help.
-Eric from https://www.senior65.com/
George
George

I will turn 65 in September. Today I received a phone call within seconds of asking for price info online from a company. The quote was very reasonable and the agent kept insisting to lock it in today. With his assurance of this company being rated A+ and also a 30 day cancellation policy, I ended up caving in to his request. Now I am worried about the customer service issues and complaints as well as hefty price increases I have been reading about online concerning this company. If I cancel this, will I now have to answer health questions to be considered by anyone else, even though this wouldn’t start until September (they are taking first month payment now)?

Reply to  George
George,
You should be able to cancel your plan immediately, and apply for another plan. If you are charged or scheduled to be charged, they may take your payment, and you can request a refund -which usually days 6-8 weeks to issue. Please call one of our licensed independent insurance agents to find a plan in your area at 800-930-7956.
Jackie Oliver
Jackie Oliver

Trying to see what issue-age rated policy would be the best. I am looking for one that does not constantly increase their rate. Knee surgery coming up in a few months.i am not 65 yet, but need insurance to even schedule it.

Reply to  Jackie Oliver
Jackie,

Thank you for posting the question below on our message board. There are very few issue-age plans available any more. Most plans today are age-attained or community-rated and this varies greatly by zip code. You can get an instant quote here: https://www.senior65.com/quote.

If you call us at the number below, we would be glad to help you find the right plan with the best pricing. Anyone who answers a phone at Senior65.com is a licensed agent and their are no fees or hidden cost to work with us. We guaranteed the lowest prices allowed by law.

Also we can often sign you up before you turn 65 so that the plan becomes active on the first day of the month of your 65th birthday.
-Chris from https://www.senior65.com

Jocelyn
Jocelyn

So Plan F is being discontinued in 2020 unless the legislation ending this plan is reversed. And even tho’ one would be grandfathered into Plan F if it was purchased before 2020, w/no new, younger subscribers & an age-attained policy, it is likely that premiums would sky-rocket. But what if one had an issue-age Plan F policy? What do you think would happen to those subscribers’ premiums who were grandfathered into this type of Plan F policy?

Reply to  Jocelyn
Jocelyn,
The thing to remember is that all plans increase for varying reasons, even issue-age or community rated. With that said, no on can predict what will happen to Plan F premiums after 2020. All that we have from experience are the legacy Medigap plans that stopped selling as of 2010, and those premiums do not appear to have increased at a higher percentage annually than currently available plans. We can only hope that Plan F premiums will follow this lead.
Alice Keith
Alice Keith

How can I obtain a list of all Medicare medigap insurance companies that have issue age policies?

Reply to  Alice Keith
Alice,
Most companies are age-attained or community rated (that start with a discount and increase each year). There are few, if any, available issue age Medigap policies in most areas. If you contact us at 800-930-7956 we would be happy to help you find an issue age policy, if one is available.
-Eric from https://www.senior65.com/
Scott Rollins
Scott Rollins

I have the ability to sign up with Physicians Mutual on an Issue Age rated policy. G Plan at $143 age 65. I went to Weiss Ratings, who rate only financial stability and they are the only Medicare supplement company with A+ excellent ratings and Weiss says they are in the top .08% of all insurance companies. Should I get this while I can?

Reply to  Scott Rollins
Scott,
Unfortunately, due to the fact we don’t work with Physician’s Mutual, we wouldn’t be able to give a thumbs up or down.

What we can tell you is that all Medigap plans are standardized, which means that all lettered plans cover the same as their counterparts by any company. These plans are not given ratings by Medicare, like Part C or D, because Medigap covers exactly the same things by any provider and therefore does not need to be rated. Therefore, we usually suggest purchasing based on price and how historically they have increased their rate. Hope this helps!

ronald andrews
ronald andrews

I have narrowed down 2 choices for my medigap plan: age-related Secure Blue which is $129/month at age 65 with increases of about 4% each year versus community- based Transamerica Ins. that is $140.60/month (5% discount for paying annual rate at once). This rate will increase only across the board with inflation. Which plan would you advise? Transamerica is a AA rated company and the agent said that their rates have stayed the same for 5 years and if their is an increase it could be 3,4, or 5%. Thank you.

Reply to  ronald andrews
Ronald,
Thank you for your question. Looks like you’ve done some good research. Unfortunately, at this time, we don’t represent either of those companies and wouldn’t be able to give an opinion on either one. What we can suggest is to get quotes from each company in five year intervals to see how each plan is charging people now based on age, and when they stop increasing for age (many times community rated Medigap plans give a discounted rate when you first enroll). Hope this helps!
Mary
Mary

Costs are becoming totally unaffordable for Seniors. We need Single Payer in this country. It is a must. Every developed country uses Single Payer, and it is very successful. For profit insurance companies are sending Seniors, and millions of others into poverty. We should not have to lose everything we have worked for due to unaffordable increases.

Why can’t we do this? This country is going by the way of the Romans. Guess we know what happened there.

jeff penny
jeff penny

In Kansas looking for plan F. Company A (attained age) is 1732/ yr at 65 but increases to 2154 at 75. Company B(issue age)is 1611 at 65. for A the price continues up plus inflation. B stays the same except for inflation. If B increases premium on me at 75 it affects their ability to sell insurance to someone at 65, so why would they? A can do what they want to 75ers and care less because if you now have a medical problem you may not be able to change. Why would I not want to buy issue age insurance? Am I missing the elephant in the room??

Reply to  jeff penny
Jeff,
We totally understand your confusion! You are not missing the elephant in the room. What you want to do is look at your Medigap initial rate, and how the Medigap rate increases with age (as you have done). So if issue age, age-attained, or community rated meets these criteria, that’s plan for you. Please call us at 800-930-7956 if you would like help choosing a plan.
Bob B
Bob B

The statement above, “Almost every insurance company only sells Age Attained plans” is totally inaccurate. While clearly more sell attained age there are enough that sell issue age that people need to include issue age in their consideration. Therefore saying that the point is moot is totally misleading.

Sue
Sue

My husband and I are with Mutual of Omaha. Medigap plan G. He started at $100.13 and now 5 years later is $187.54 (87% increase in 5 years). Each increase says he is not the only one. How can they increase a premium over 87% in just 5 years?

Reply to  Sue
Sue,
Wow! That is a big increase, and we totally understand your frustration. You may want to apply for another Medigap policy. If he lives in California or Oregon, he would qualify for the birthday rule of having the right to switch your Medigap plan each year, but if your husband lives in another state he will have to answer medical questions to be approved for a new Medigap policy.

For those of you first applying for Medicare, you’ll want to look up price now, and how the price (rate) increases over time. Sometimes companies stop a rate increase at 75, others up to 90.

Sue, please call us if you would like help 800-930-7956.

Michael B
Michael B

You recommend selecting a plan that “has a history of smaller rate increases for older members.” How do we find that out?

Reply to  Michael B
Michael,
Good question. The only way to find this out is to look at how insurance companies are currently charging their older members. Unfortunately they are no tools for this online but if you contact one of our Senior65 agent at 800-930-7956 we can pull it for you. There is no fee or hidden cost to contact us.
-Chris from https://www.senior65.com/
Question Everything
Question Everything

So bottom line prices will go up every year on a Medigap plan. Does it continue to go up even when I’m 80 or 90?

Good question. Each plan can have a different cut off age, but every plan can continue to increase for inflation. Hope this helps.
-Chris from https://www.senior65.com/
Rhonda Laston
Rhonda Laston

So if I read this correctly all Medigap plans are age attained. Is that correct.

Reply to  Rhonda Laston
Rhonda,
Thank you for your question. The answer to your question is yes and no.. Let me explain. Technically speaking there are three ways that Medigap plans are rated, but most plans do increase with age. Hope this helps!

-Amy https://www.senior65.com/

Gregg
Gregg

Reply to  Gregg
Gregg,

Give us a call to help you through the process and get you enrolled.

Florence
Florence

Reply to  Florence
Florence,

Jack Jenkins
Jack Jenkins

Reply to  Jack Jenkins
Jack,

We can discuss your concerns before switching.

Pamela A

Medigap Pro and Cons
Medigap vs Medicare Advantage
Hope that helps,
J
J

Reply to  J

If you would like to compare Plan G and F cost, you can get a quote here.
-Amy from Senior65.com

Connie
Connie

Reply to  Connie
Connie,
Madeleine
Madeleine

We are thinking of changing Medigap insurance, like from a Plan N to Plan G.
Birthday for my husband is April 26, my birthday is May28.
Or will insurance use age at effective date of policy.

Reply to  Madeleine

Lee

Hello,

Reply to  Lee
Lee,
Lisa Lanza
Lisa Lanza

I turn 65 on June 9, 1951.

My zip code is 33763.

Bob B
Bob B

Sue
Sue

Reply to  Sue
Sue,

Sue, please call us if you would like help 800-930-7956.

Michael B