After a stroke, Medicare may offer out-patient care or Home Health Care services to help with your stroke rehabilitation. Here are the differences between the two types of care.

Out-Patient Physical, Speech, and Occupational Therapy

Out-patient physical, speech-language pathology, or occupational therapy helps with your motor, speech, and daily activities. This is especially important if there is paralysis after a stroke. This is when you go to a medical facility that provides this type of care.

Therapy Costs
Medicare Part B puts therapy limit caps. Physical and speech-language pathology are combined for a therapy limit cap of $2,040. Occupational therapy has a separate therapy limit cap of $2,040. Medicare will expand its coverage if your therapist deems your therapy medically necessary and Medicare approves it. It is unclear if this is the limit that Medicare pays or the limit you pay.

All Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plans cover all or part of your Part B coinsurance, but only two plans, Medigap Plan C and Medigap Plan F, cover your Medicare Part B deductible ($203).

Home Health Care for Strokes

Home Health Care is varied coverage dependent upon the individuals needs. A physical, speech, and/or occupational therapist may come to your home, as well as the home health care specialist will check on your eating habits, if you’re taking your medication, home safety, and other care. Home Health Care is not custodial care (only feeding, dressing, and bathing). Medicare does not cover custodial care.

Home Health Care Costs
With Original Medicare there is no cost to the patient for Home Health Care visits, because it is so much less expensive than having a patient in an Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility or Skilled Nursing Facility. However, if you need durable medical equipment, you will pay 20% of the cost with Part B. If you have Medigap, depending on the plan, it will cover all or part of your Part B coinsurance.

Planning for a Stroke

No one wants to plan for a serious illness, but if you plan ahead it’s helps for you or your loved one to receive the best care. Our clients have told us by doing the following their care after stroke went smoothly:

  • Look into therapists in your area
  • Visit Skilled Nursing Facilities
  • Visit Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities
  • Take a tour of local hospitals
  • Look into Long Term Care
  • Check out Medigap plans to reduce out of pocket costs

For more questions about Home Health Care or Therapy services for stroke patients call the number above or if you’re ready click here to get a Medicare Supplement quote.