When Can I Switch My Medicare Part D Drug Plan?

Learn when your Medicare Part D plan can be changed

If you want to switch your Part D plan, otherwise known as your Medicare prescription drug plan, you have very specific times in which this is allowed. We get a lot of calls from clients looking to switch from one Part D to another Part D plan throughout the year, so, we thought we’d give you the skinny on how and when you can switch.

This article has been updated on June 7th 2019.

When Can I Switch My Part D Plan?

For most people, there is only time a year to switch your Part D plan to another Part D plan: Open Enrollment. Medicare’s Open Enrollment period, also known as Medicare’s Annual Election period, runs from October 15 through December 7. Outside of this period you most likely will not be able to switch plans. There are a few exceptions which we will list below.

How Can I Switch Part D Outside of Open Enrollment?

There are a few Special Enrollment qualifying events that allow you to switch a Medicare prescription drug plan outside of Medicare’s Open Enrollment:

• Your Part D or Medicare Advantage company goes out of business
  • Your Part D or Medicare Advantage plan misled you
  • If you find a Medicare 5-star rated plan, you can change your Part D at anytime of the year to the 5-star plan*

*While 5-star drug plans are available in some areas, as this is the highest rating Medicare gives, they are not always available in all areas.

Next Steps

If you want to apply for a Part D plan during Open Enrollment or have a Special Enrollment qualifying event, you will want to collect all your current prescribed drugs and dosages, and call one of our licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956. We will help you find a plan that covers your drugs, and is the most cost effective for your needs.

Besides, you can get a discount of up to 80% by getting our new prescription drug discount card. It’s free, easy to use and is accepted at pharmacies nationwide – including major chains like CVS, Walgreens, Kroger, Rite Aid, Safeway, Walmart and many more.

Mark
Mark

I want to switch plans but I’m moving in 2 months. What state would I switch in?

Reply to  Mark
Mark,
Typically you must purchase a plan in the state of your permanent residence. When you move, it will trigger a special enrollment and you can select any Part D drug plan available in your new location.
-Eric from Senior65.com
Joan
Joan

I just turned 65,I am a retired nyc teacher. I can keep the drug plan from my union (uft).I got a letter stating I was put in enhanced Medicare, that I requested. I never requested it. When I called my union they said that it is what most people are taking.I asked how much more I would be paying for it; they said they didn’t know but it wasn’t a lot.This is crazy,I can’t get a straight answer. I thought Medicare D was more than drugs. Please help me.

Reply to  Joan
Joan,
Medicare Part D only covers prescription drugs at the pharmacy. Your case is unique so give us a call to discuss it further.
Terry
Terry

My medicare part d plan has misled me they said I would pay a certain amount for drugs now they have increased my drug cost some as much as 100%

Reply to  Terry
Terry,
Give us a call to help you switch your Part D Drug plan. Remember there is never a fee to work with us.
tanya brach
tanya brach

i’ll be 65 in july. do i have to wait until october to sign up for drug coveerage?

Reply to  tanya brach
Tanya,
When you are new to Medicare, you do not enroll for a prescription drug plan during Open Enrollment (Open Enrollment is for switching plans). You will enroll during your 7-month Medicare initial enrollment period -starts 3 month before your birth month -so, you should be able to sign up now (as long as you have your red, white, and blue Medicare card). To learn which Part D drug plan is right for you, call one of our licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.
-Chris from https://www.senior65.com/
Alan
Alan

There are no Medicare Advantage 5-star plans in my area, does that mean that I have to wait until October to apply? Will my plan start in November if I sign up in October?

Reply to  Alan
Alan,
If you don’t qualify for a Special Enrollment period, and there are no 5 star plans in your area, then you will have to wait until Medicare’s Open Enrollment which starts in October; however, all plans will begin January 1.

Mark