When Can I Buy Medigap?

Learn the best time to buy Medicare Supplement insurance

Medicare Supplement Insurance, commonly known as Medigap, is available at very specific enrollment times.

Best Time to Buy Medigap

The best time to purchase Medigap is when you are first eligible. Medigap gives you a guaranteed issuance, 6-month period that begins on the first day of the month in which you turn 65 (or older, see below) AND enrolled in Medicare Part B.

Guaranteed issuance means that preexisting conditions cannot preclude you from Medigap nor can the provider charge more if you have a preexisting condition.

If I Have Job-Based Insurance, Do I Buy Medigap?

If you have job-based health insurance you more than likely will want to wait to enroll in Medicare Part B and Medigap. Job-based plans often provide coverage similar to Medigap you don’t need a Medigap policy. Of course, always check with your HR person and your insurance broker before making a decision.

When your job-based coverage ends, you’ll get a chance to enroll without a Part B enrollment penalty. This means your Medigap guaranteed issuance period would begin once you enroll in Part B.

Medigap Enrollment Tip
Don’t enroll in Medicare Part B if you have qualified job-based insurance. If you do enroll in Part B and know you want Medigap at some point, you won’t be able to wait. You’ll need to enroll within the first 6 months of your Part B eligibility for guaranteed Medigap coverage for the future. What this means for you is you’ll be paying for extra insurance you don’t need.

Click here to read the article, “What is Medigap?”

Next Steps

If you’re ready to enroll in Medigap call the number above or click on the link below for an instant quote.

Jim
Jim

I want to buy a high deductible plan F or G. My part B coverage started May 1. As I understand it, plan G HD won’t be available until Jan. 2020. If I buy a plan F high deductible now will I have the option of switching to a plan G high deductible when the plan F HD is discontinued? Would I have to go through underwriting?

Reply to  Jim
Hello Jim,
You will indeed have the option to switch to a Medigap Plan G High Deductible in 2020 but you may have to go through medical underwriting to do so. When the G plans come out, we will know which (if any) companies will not require Medical underwriting before switching.

We hope you choose to work with us when you sign up. You should think of us as a one stop shop and we charge you absolutely nothing for our services (the insurance companies give us a commission but it doesn’t affect your monthly premium)

Nolan
Nolan

I have a question I have medicare part A and B and also get benifits via my VA. Am I allowed to also get a supplemental help cover in the event of an emergency due to the fact that we live 2hrs from a VA hospital. Or will I have to drop my VA benefits

Reply to  Nolan
Nolan,
You are allowed to have both VA and Medicare Benefits at the same time. Check out our dedicated page about VA and Medicare here
Corey Tullar
Corey Tullar

I will turn 65 in May 2017 and plan to apply for Medicare Part A & B. I will be leaving my current employer April 30, 2017. When should I apply for Medicare Part B coverage?

Reply to  Corey Tullar
Corey,
If you’re leaving your job-based insurance at the same time you become Medicare eligible, then you would enroll in Part B before your birth month. Check out our Medicare Deadline Calculator to learn more.

Jim