Should I switch to Medigap Plan G before 2020?

Plan F will no longer be available after 2020...what should I do?

CLIENT QUESTION: Hello. I turn 65 this month and have enrolled in a Plan F attained-age policy. Plan F will no longer be available for those new to Medicare after 2020. I am wondering if I should switch to Plan G while I can, in the next few months.

Why do I think this? Well, the average age of the plan F membership will increase with time, due to the lack of inflow of new (younger and healthier) members. Will that lack of new (younger and healthier) members cause the Plan F membership’s average costs to rise significantly more than Plan G membership? I hope that my question makes sense.

ANSWER BY SENIOR 65 AGENT:
Your question totally makes sense and you are not alone. Many experts and clients are speculating that F prices will increase faster than G after 2020 but no one knows for sure. We think it is very likely but will not be immediate due to the shear size of the Plan F’s risk pool.

One thing we can tell you for sure: switching from F to G in the future will usually require medical underwriting. Unless you live in the few states that have the Medigap birthday rule or similar, you can be turned down when you try to downgrade.

If you are concerned about this, now is the time to make the switch while you are still in your initial enrollment period. You can get a quote for Medigap Plan G here or give us a call at 800-930-7956 and we can help you switch over the phone with no fee or hidden charge.

Kevin
Kevin
1 month ago

I just turned 65 2 days ago. I already signed up for A and B. Have not gotten the paperwork back yet. I am currently employed with group insurance. Would I be wise to also go with G or wait until I retire? I will be working at least 14 months more. Thanks, Kevin

1 month ago
Reply to  Kevin

Kevin,
We do not recommend buying a Medigap plan if you have credible coverage through work. Please know that many of our clients decide to waive Part B until their work coverage ends to save money.

When you come off your work coverage, You will have a Special Enrollment period to enroll in Medicare Part B, Medigap, Medicare Advantage, and/or Part D drug coverage.

Give us a call if you want to discuss timing or are ready to enroll in any of these. Our service is at no cost to you.

Karen
Karen
10 months ago

I turned 65 in 2017. My husband turned 65 in June of 2019. We enrolled in Medicare Part A only at the time we turned 65. He s still employed. We both are covered under my spouse’s insurance provided (for both of us) through his employer. He will retire at the end of June 2020 and we will be relocating to another state. Should we apply for Medicare Part B and a Medi-gap plan while in our current state of residence or the state we are moving to?

9 months ago
Reply to  Karen
Karen,
It will not matter which state you apply for Medicare part B in.

Typically you should start the special enrollment process for your Medicare Part B a few months before your desired start date. Medicare should allow you to pick your start date in the future so you can time it to match when your work coverage ends.

It does matter what state you first enroll in a Medigap plan. Give us a call and we can help you compare which state will be best. We charge nothing for our services and we can enroll you right over the phone.

Karen
Karen

I am retiring in May 2020 at age 65. what is my best option for Medicare plan?

Reply to  Karen
Karen,
Once they turn 65, most Americans enroll in Medicare Part A and B. Most of our clients select a supplemental insurance such as Medigap Plan G and a Part D drug plan.

We recommend you check our article on Medicare first steps. Once you get Medicare give us a call to enroll you in a supplemental insurance plan at no additional cost to you.

Paul
Paul

I am 85 years old with significant heart disease and diabetes (type 2). I currently have Medicare F plan.. I live in Iowa but I don’t know if I would have trouble switching to plan g.

Reply to  Paul
Paul,
You would be subject to medical underwriting to switch from Medigap F to G unless you qualified for Medicare Special Enrollment. If it is a price issue, you may also want to consider a Medicare Advantage plan. Give us a call to discuss.

Raymond
Raymond

I am a 52 year old male with Myeloma (incurable bone/blood cancer). After two years of Social Security Disability, I will be eligible for Medicare as of Nov. 1, 2019. In short, I have had, and anticipate, enormous medical costs each year and for the foreseeable future, making Plan F or G temping to me.

It appears the current consensus is that Plans F and G will experience extreme premium increases going forward. I would like to ask if that might NOT happen as expected. My reasoning is that the historically high unpredictability of claims, due to forced acceptance of new enrollments, has forced actuaries to include higher uncertainty risk adjustments to their premiums. As the pool becomes more stable, although obviously with high claims, couldn’t these uncertainties be expected to reduce, lessening upward pressure on premiums?

Reply to  Raymond
Raymond,
It is still too hard to say now what will happen but your reasoning makes sense too. We have seen prices actually go down in a few regions in the past so it is possible. We will just have to wait until we have more information.

When you become eligible for Medicare we would love to help you enroll in Plan F or G. Give us a call!

LINDA
LINDA

I am enrolled in the F plan. i am 68 years old………….i have MS should I SWITCH TO THE g now

Reply to  LINDA
Linda,
Switching to G can often save you money. Depending on your state and situation, you may have to go through medical underwriting before being approved on a G. If you would like to discuss the best choice for you please give us a call. If you decide to switch, we can help you. Please remember that you probably would have to go through medical underwriting.

Kevin
Kevin
1 month ago

1 month ago
Reply to  Kevin

Kevin,

Karen
Karen
10 months ago

9 months ago
Reply to  Karen
Karen,
It will not matter which state you apply for Medicare part B in.

Karen
Karen

I am retiring in May 2020 at age 65. what is my best option for Medicare plan?

Reply to  Karen