Medicare Drugs: Part D Coverage

Checklist for Part D

Coming from the group or individual market, most newly senior persons are used to drug coverage being part of the package. However, quickly boomers learn that Original Medicare does not provide prescription coverage. Here are the things you need to know about Medicare Part D, AKA Prescription Drug Plans.

Two Ways to Get Medicare Drug Coverage

Prescription Drug Enrollment

You are first eligible to enroll in Part D when you are first eligible for Medicare. This 7 month initial enrollment period runs from the 3 months before your 65th birthday, the month of your 65th birthday, and for three months after. If you don’t enroll in Part D when you are first eligible you are subject to a penalty. Click here if you’re ready to sign up today for Medicare Prescription Coverage.

Can I Keep My Current Insurance?

Depends. You may be able to keep current coverage from a union or employer if it’s considered creditable insurance without having to switch over to Medicare’s prescription coverage. If this is the case for you, you should be able to switch later to Part D without having to pay the normal penalty for late enrollees.

Remember to keep any creditable prescription drug coverage information you receive from your plan in a file -do not send any of this to Medicare. This paperwork may be necessary when joining a Medicare Part D plan later.

How to get an additional drug discount

Senior65 has partnered up with CleverRx to bring you prescription discounts of up to 80%. Just get your free discount card and start saving.

nora
nora

I have A, B and Medicare supplemental plans. I am looking for a stand alone Part D plan. If I sign up with a plan before the end of February 2018 and pay my premium by phone. Is my effective date 3/1/18 or 4/1/18. I have been given conflicting information. Please let me know.

Thank you.
Nora

Reply to  nora
Noraif you sign up in the month of Feb, you could begin on 3/1/2018 (as long as your part B effective date is on 3/1/2018). With other part B effective dates this may not be the case. We can help you figure this out and enroll. Give us a call!
-Eric from Senior65.com
Terry
Terry

The agent told me this morning that part D deadline is determined by the initiation of part A, and that I am not eligible.
Your blue box is telling me that I am within the deadline for part D
I’m a little unhappy because the agent yesterday told me that I am not eligible for medigap, which is not true.

Reply to  Terry
Terry,
Our blue box is for general information, and may not apply to your specific situation. If you need help finding out when you are eligible to enroll in Part D or if you are still in your initial enrollment period for Medigap (you can always apply for Medigap, even outside of this period -but you have to answer medical questions), call one of our Senior65 licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.

nora