Medicare Advantage Vs Medigap

Finally decide which Medicare Insurance is right for you.

Many of our clients call us with the exact same question: “Should I buy a Medicare Advantage or a Medigap plan?”

There is no quick answer because it depends on many factors including your location, health care needs and budget. That is, there WAS no quick answer until now!
Check out our new tool below to decide whether you should get Medigap or Medicare Advantage based on some quick questions.

Medigap vs Medicare Advantage

Click HERE to visit our Plan Recommendation Engine

Marta
Marta

I think I have buyers remorse. I work full time and switched from insurance provided at work to a Medigap plan F the first if the year. I can afford the premium now but am concerned that someday after I am on a fixed income I will struggle. I’m healthy and am not realizing the advantages of the medigap plan since I do not go to the doctor often.

My biggest reason for considering a change is that so far nothing has been covered by the plan. Why have supplemental coverage if you still have to pay out of pocket? I might as well. how is a person supposed to be able to make a decision that affects their budget for the rest of their life?

Reply to  Marta
Marta,
Remember you can always switch to a Medicare Advantage plan during open enrollment each year. They typically are less expensive and you are guaranteed to be approved. Our advice would be to consider switching to a Plan G for now to save some money and then move to Medicare Advantage should your resources change in the future. Give us a call if you are interested in discussing more.
Gena
Gena

Mom is in rehab for massive stroke on june30. We are here since july9. She has Medicare advantage. We want 100 days paid. Should we buy supplemental 309/mo and switch to original Medicare? When can we switch out of supplemental after 100 days? Also, mom needs a nursing home. Will supplemental help with that? Which is better for mom now that she needs nursing care for feeding tube and moving her paralyzed left side she can’t sit up use bathroom and her home is not an option after the 100 days. Any answer is grately appreciated. God bless you for helping us. Gena

Reply to  Gena
Gena,
Switching from MA to Medigap can only be done at certain times of the year. Most people make the switch during open enrollment with the new Medigap policy starting on the first of the new year. Also unless she qualifies for special enrollment, your mom will be required to go through medical underwriting to be approved on a Medigap plan. Finally Medigap does not pay for nursing home expenses. I wish we had better news to you but based on the information you shared her current MA plan may be her best option.
Peter
Peter

I am 76 years old in August, employed with Cigna PPO. My wife will have qualify to apply the Medicare in September and turn in 65 in December 08.
We are looking an Insurance agent to Coach me right now we think should be stick Medigap.
Only I am not sure most the Doctor don’t accept Medicare even the Big Hospital in Houston Texas.
If you can start communicate with us through My e-mail provided above, we are appreciated.
Peter

Reply to  Peter
Peter,
We can surely help you get the right plan. We will be contacting you by email.
don
don

I know MA has a limit out of pocket of $6700 , what is the limit out of pocket for Medigap if there is one ?

Reply to  don
Hi Don,
Medicare Supplement Plan K and Plan L come with an out-of-pocket limit. After you reach the yearly limit, your plan typically pays for all costs for covered services for the rest of the year. In 2019, the annual out-of-pocket limit for Medigap Plan L is $2,780; the limit for Plan K is $5,560.

The other plans, such as Medigap G and F, do not have out of pocket limits as there is little cost share for those who purchase those plans.

If you are looking to enroll in a plan, please consider working with Senior65.com!

Gregory
Gregory

I have done so much research on the question of Medigap vs Advantage. I still question my decision. I live in the perfect area for Medicare Advantage since all my Doctors, Labs, and Hospital are InNetwork. My health is very good and usually see a Doctor for exams or routine tests. I am on no prescription drugs. My travel is limited to a few trips per year. I realize health issues and events may eventually happen. I like to prepare for possible future events. The other side of this is, I can also afford a Medigap Plan G with a low cost Drug Plan. For me it becomes a 50/50 decision as to which coverage I should enroll in? My instinct is saying to enroll in the Medigap Plan G. I have read all the small print and know what I am getting with either decision. Is there anything you can add to reinforce or reverse my decision to enter into Medigap Plan G? Thank you

Reply to  Gregory
Gregory,
Thanks for the thoughtful question. If you are on the fence between Medigap and Medicare Advantage (MA) we typically recommend starting with Medigap. Here is why: Switching from Medigap to MA is much easier than the other way around. After your first year, if you want to move from MA to a Medigap plan you would have to answer health questions on the application and could be turned down.

In contrast, switching from Medigap to MA is always approved if you do it during Medicare’s open enrollment.

When you are ready to enroll in either plan, please call us and we can do it right over the phone at the guaranteed lowest price.

Hope that helps.
-Chris from Senior65.

bruce benson
bruce benson

If I have Medigap inOklahoma and get sick in Texas, will it pay?

Reply to  bruce benson
Bruce,
Medigap plans work with Medicare’s nationwide network. This means that any doctor that accepts Medicare assignment, anywhere in the U.S. or its territories also accepts Medigap. If the Texax doctor falls into this category, then you are covered!
Charles A Crum
Charles A Crum

As with Bill on 10/15/15, no box no questions Refresh doesn’t change that.

Bill Bartkowits
Bill Bartkowits

“Just answer a few questions in the box below”

I don’t see a box or any questions.

Bill,
Try refreshing the page to see the box of questions. If not, try changing browsers. Although, it should work in all browsers, but maybe your settings will allow you to see it in one and not another. Hope this helps!
Valerie L
Valerie L

Humm… I got stuck on one step: I want the discounted price of Medicare Advantage but I want a national network of Medigap. Are there any MA plans with a National Network?

Reply to  Valerie L
Valerie,
That’s a very good question. At this time we do not know of a Medicare Advantage plan with a national network. You might want to look into a Medigap High F plan, to get the lower premium and keep the nationwide network.
-Eric from https://www.senior65.com/

Gena,
Peter
Peter

Peter

Reply to  Peter
Peter,
We can surely help you get the right plan. We will be contacting you by email.
don
don

Reply to  don
Hi Don,

Gregory
Gregory

Reply to  Gregory
Gregory,

Hope that helps.
-Chris from Senior65.

bruce benson
bruce benson

If I have Medigap inOklahoma and get sick in Texas, will it pay?

Reply to  bruce benson
Bruce,
Charles A Crum
Charles A Crum

As with Bill on 10/15/15, no box no questions Refresh doesn’t change that.

Bill Bartkowits
Bill Bartkowits

“Just answer a few questions in the box below”

I don’t see a box or any questions.

Bill,