Having Diabetes usually leaves seniors confused about what Medicare covers. With all the drugs, supplies and various other needs, it can all become quite a mess. Here you will find the answers of how Medicare covers Diabetes Treatment and Supplies.
Does Medicare cover Diabetes Treatment and Supplies?
Yes it does, to an extent. You need to take into account that you will be responsible for 20% of the Medicare-approved amount after the yearly Part B deductible. That being said, Medicare Part B covers:
- Diabetes screenings if your doctor determines you’re at risk for diabetes.
- Diabetes self-management training (DSMT) services for people recently diagnosed with diabetes or at risk for complications from diabetes.
- Home blood sugar (glucose) monitors and supplies used with the equipment, including blood sugar test strips, lancet devices, and lancets.
- Foot exam every 6 months for people with diabetic peripheral neuropathy and loss of protective sensation
- Glaucoma test once every 12 months for people at high risk for glaucoma
- External durable insulin pumps and the insulin that the device uses under durable medical equipment.
- Shoes or inserts for people with diabetes who have severe diabetic foot disease.
Does Medicare Part D cover my Prescription Drugs for Diabetes and Supplies?
Usually, but each Medicare Part D plan covers different drugs at different prices. To select the right plan and enroll in Part D, please don’t hesitate to call us. You can get coverage for:
- Anti-diabetic drugs for maintaining blood sugar
- Supplies to administer insulin (like syringes, needles, alcohol swabs, gauze, and inhaled insulin devices)
- Insulin that isn’t administered with an insulin pump.
Does Medigap cover Diabetes Treatment and Supplies?
Yes. The majority of Medigap Plans will pay for the 20% of Diabetes treatment and supplies not covered by Medicare. Medigap will not cover the Part D drug benefits listed above.
Does Medicare Advantage cover Diabetes Treatment and Supplies?
Medicare Advantage plans will cover the equivalent of services that Original Medicare Parts A and B cover. However, your cost-sharing may be different. Since we cannot offer online quotes for Medicare Advantage, call us to find out your price and coverage.
Reader Comments and QuestionsClick Here if you have a question