Medicare Advantage: 4 Times to Enroll

Learn when you can enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan

Once you are Medicare-eligible you are also eligible to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan. There are four times per year that you may enroll.

MA Plan Initial Enrollment

Your Medicare Advantage plan initial enrollment is the same as the Original Medicare initial enrollment. It starts 3 months before your 65th birthday month, continues through the month of your 65th birthday, and ends three months after. This is the best time to enroll. However, if you do not enroll during this period,there are three other opportunities to enroll.

MA Plan Open Enrollment

Every year there is an open enrollment period in which you can switch from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage plan: October 15 -December 7.

MA Plan Special Enrollment

For most life changing events, such as a divorce, moving out of your Medicare Advantage plan’s area, or losing your job that had qualifying healthcare, you have two full months to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan. There are certain circumstances in which you will have longer than two months.

MA Plan General Enrollment

If you have Medicare Part A but get Medicare Part B during general enrollment (January 1 -March 31), you can enroll in Medicare Advantage between April 1st and June 30th.

To learn more about Medicare Advantage or to enroll call the number above or contact Senior65.

Learn More about Medicare Advantage Get an MA Quote

Robert
Robert

I left the following questions a few weeks ago and I was very happy with your response:

I will turn 65 in 3 weeks. I am covered by an employer based insurance plan but plan to retire in May of next year. Do I need to sign up for any part of Medicare now? If I don’t sign up, are there any penalties when my insurance coverage is cancelled in May?

I was very happy with your response. But I have a follow up question: I am currently enrolled in an employer-sponsored high-deductible insurance plan with a HSA. I like the benefit of contributing to the HSA. Should I still sign up for Medicare Part A now?

Reply to  Robert
Robert,
Whether you should delay enrollment in Medicare so you can continue contributing to your HSA depends on your circumstances
According to Medicare.gov If you work for an employer with fewer than 20 employees, you may need Medicare in order to have primary insurance, even though you will lose the tax advantages of your HSA. This is because health coverage from employers with fewer than 20 employees pays secondary to Medicare. If you work at this kind of employer and fail to enroll in Medicare, you may have little or no health coverage because your health plan does not have to pay until after Medicare pays. Health coverage from an employer with 20 or more employees pays primary to Medicare, so you may choose to delay Medicare enrollment if you work at this kind of employer and continue putting funds into your HSA.
Tim
Tim

Hello, I am recently retired but covered under my wife’s group insurance plan. Due to my income in 2019, part B coverage will be quite high so I want to delay signing up for a MA plan until my 2020 income tax return shows a reduced income. I turn 65 in August 2019, should I sign up for part A coverage now and delay part B/MA until 2021? If I sign up for part B/MA before my wife’s coverage ends, does the Special Enrollment Period still apply? Thanks for helping.

Reply to  Tim
Tim,
Signing up only for Part A does sound like a smart choice. If you decide to also enroll in Part B, when you leave your wife’s coverage you will get 63 days to enroll in Medigap, Medicare Advantage or Drugs.

Be sure to give us a call during that time. We can get you enrolled at no cost to you.

Robert
Robert

Reply to  Robert
Robert,
Since you plan to continue with your work based insurance, you should enroll in Medicare Part A but NOT Medicare Part B at this time. This will save you money and help you avoid penalties.

You should enroll in Part B in May. You will then qualify for what is known as Medicare Special Enrollment. When you leave your work coverage, you will have 6 months to enroll in Medigap and 2 months to enroll in Medicare Advantage and Drugs with no penalties whatsoever.

GIve us a call as you approach retirement to get you enrolled. We charge nothing for our services.

David
David

I am 67 years old and intend to retire August 1. i have already applied for Medicare Part A and I am currently on my employers health insurance plan. When i finally select what program whether Traditional Medicare or Medicare Advantage how long do i have to wait for my coverage to start.

Reply to  David
David,
Since you have coverage through work your Medicare coverage should start on August 1st, on the day of your delayed Part B Effective Date.

When the time comes if you decide to go with MA please give us a call so we can help you enroll. We charge nothing for our services.

Jan
Jan

Dear Senior 65:

I turned 65 on 2/6/19, and I applied for Medicare part A on 5/7/19, and will apply for part B, within 7 days. Do I have until the end of May, 2019 (the 3rd month after the month of my birthday) to finish this process without incurring penalties for Part B coverage. I am currently covered by an Anthem PPO plan through my employer, which I will give up once Medicare part A & B are active.

Thank you very much.
Jan

Reply to  Jan
Jan,
You typically have until the end of May (third month after your birthday) to finish your enrollment in Medicare and not incur on any penalties. If your current work coverage counts as credible coverage, you can delay your Medicare Part B enrollment indefinitely without a penalty.

If after you enroll in Medicare Part A and B, you wish to purchase supplemental insurance such as Medigap or a Part D Drug plan please don’t hesitate to call us! We do not charge for our services.

Robert