How to Pay Your Medicare Premiums

Learn how to pay your costs once your Medicare-eligible

by Amy De Vore+ on Jun 24, 2017 | 17 Comments

Now that you’re Medicare-eligible you may wonder how you pay for your Medicare Part A and Part B premiums. There are three different scenarios that boomers may find themselves in.



1) Do You Receive Retirement or Social Security?

If you receive Civil Service, Social Security, or Railroad benefits your Medicare premiums will be automatically deducted from your benefit. There may be a situation in which Civil Service or Railroad Retirement Benefits may require you to pay a bill. If you do receive a bill the address for payment is below.

2) Will You Pay for Your Part A Premium?

If you pay out of pocket for your Medicare Part A premium you will receive a bill. Why is this? It’s because the majority of people do not pay anything for Medicare Part A. If you do, it costs $422 per month.

3) Do You Have to Sign Up for Part B?

If you do not receive benefits and sign up for Medicare Part B you’ll receive a bill. Medicare Part B’s premium is $135.5 per month. I’ll explain below how you pay.

Click here to see a Medicare Overview.

Options to Pay Your Medicare Bill

If you answered yes to either question 2 or 3 you will receive a bill from Medicare. Here are the ways you can pay your Medicare bill:

  • Medicare Easy Pay a free service that automatically deducts your premium payments from your savings or checking account each month.
  • Pay by Mail pretty self-explanatory, but you can pay by check, money order, or credit card by mail (address below)

If you receive a bill from Medicare:
Medicare Premium Collection Center
P.O. Box 790355
St. Louis, MO 63179-0355

If you receive a bill from your Railroad Retirement Benefits
RRB, Medicare Premium Payments
P.O. Box 979024
St. Louis, MO 63197-9000

If you have Civil Service benefits but NOT entitled to Social Security benefits
You may choose to pay your premium by a bill or have it deducted from your Civil Service annuity. To have it automatically deducted, send an email to

How to Pay for your Medigap Plan?

If you have a Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) you cannot pay through Social Security. Instead you will pay your bill through your private insurer. 

Learn More about Medigap Get a Medigap Quote

How to Pay for your Medicare Advantage Plan?

If you have a Medicare Advantage plan you can pay for it through Social Security or through your insurer.

Learn More about Medicare AdvantageGet a MA Quote

For further questions about your Medicare and Medicare Insurance payments call the number above.

Print Friendly Version

Reader Comments and Questions

(Click here to leave a comment)

By Elizabeth on April 11, 2019

If I choose a Medigap plan, do I pay for both a Medigap payment as well as the standard Medicare payment?

Hi Elizabeth,
That is correct. You would pay for your Medicare Part B premium as well as your Medigap Premium.

If you are looking to enroll in Medigap please give us a call! We would love to help you enroll in a plan at no additional cost to you.
-MIchelle from

By Tammy on March 14, 2019

Is there a way to check online to see if my mailed payment has been received by Medicare since it takes over an hour to get through on the phone?

As of now, there is no way that we know of to check online if your payment was received by Medicare.
-Chris from

By Robin on February 10, 2019

I received a medicare bill for part B, but I haven't signed up for part B because I'm still employed and have insurance with my employer.

It seems like you were enrolled automatically in Part B, which you can decline by following the instructions that Social Security sends you in the letter that accompanies your Medicare card and meeting the specified deadline.

-Chris from

By Brian on July 02, 2018

Can I pay my medicare Part G with a credit card as I want to earn points

Great question. This is determined at the insurance provider level. Some allow for credit card payments but most do not. Give us a call and we can help identify which providers offer CC payments in your area.
-Chris from

By Isabel on November 02, 2017

My CSA number is XXXXXX. I would like to have my medicare payment deducted from my Retirement Annuity Pension. Which I believe is $XXX.00 monthly. I also need to have State Income Tax ( Michigan ) withheld, of $XXX. My address is P.O. Box is XXXX, XXXXXX Michigan XXXXX My Phone # is XXX-XXX-XXXX And the last 4 digits of my social security # is XXXX

Isabel, Thank you for contacting us but we cannot process your Medicare payments. We have Xed out all your information above. Please refer to the article for the proper place to send your payment.

Once you have signed up for Medicare we can help you enroll in supplemental insurance so please contact us if you need help in that area.
-Eric from

By Nicole on July 25, 2017

If my first social security check is on 2/21/18(third Wednesday) and Medicare part B is being taken out of it, will that part B payment be for the previous month(Jan), the current month (Feb) or for the following month (Mar). Will actually be 65 on 2/14.

Sometimes, during your first few months, you will have to pay your Part B premium directly, even though you have signed up to have it deducted. Contact Social Security to find out a payment schedule. Contact one of our Senior65 licensed independent insurance agents for help enrolling in a Medicare Health plan at 800-930-7956.
-Michelle from

By Terry on April 28, 2017

I am trying to pay my husbands medicare B online by credit card and cannot find where to do this. Can you direct me to where I can do this?

You can make a credit card payment by filling out the bottom of portion of your Medicare bill and mail it in. If you want to pay online, you will need to contact your bank to set up this service.
-Amy from

By steve nitta on March 24, 2017

I called OPM and asked if they could take my medicare payments out of my monthly retirement check and they said I would have to contact you first because they didn't know how much to take out. I thought I could just add the deduction # 24 ( collection of Retroactive Medicare Premiums) but they said I couldn't. Please let me know what I should do. The 3 month payments are too much at one time or can I be billed monthly.

Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, we can't help you in that department. See, we are licensed independent insurance agents who can help you enroll in an insurance plan, not Medicare. You will want to contact Medicare directly.
-Amy from

By Velma J Cox on December 13, 2016

I am suppose to have my Medicare part b deducted automatically from by ss check by railroad retirement, this is the second time I have gotten a bill for premiums, how do I get it changed where I am paying monthly not quarterly?

For Medicare premium questions you will want to contact Medicare or Social Security directly, as they are the only ones that can help you switch the way you make your payment.
-Michelle from

By Dan Ovshak on October 17, 2016

I have a statement due by 10/25/2016 for $487.20. Is that for the or for months? If it's quarterly that means I'm paying over $160 per month. I thought it was around $104 per month.

Most likely you're being charged for 4 months, at the current base rate of $121.80; however, you should contact CMS directly to confirm.
-Chris from

By Glenn Segars on September 21, 2016

Had navy federal credit union's webbill pay service send payment to correct address. They mailed check on 9\16\16. It is due on 9\25\16. As of 9/21/16, check not cleared bank. Tried to call to get number for St Louis CMS address and no one has it. Any ideas on how I can find out if they got the check. No one at Medicare can tell me anything and they just keep apologizing.

Unfortunately, this is not our area of expertise. We are insurance agents that help get you quotes or enroll you in plans, but cannot help with CMS issues. Our only suggestion is to send a new check, so that nothing is cancelled.
-Chris from

By jimmy edward jones on August 23, 2016

I sent Medicare a check in the mail for monthly amount A few days later Medicare took the billed payment amount out of my checking account. Is there anyone I can call to stop payment of this check? It will cost me $31.00+ to put a stop payment on it from my bank. jj

You will want to contact CMS directly to see what they can do to help you out. Hope they can help you!
-Eric from

By Rose Latiolais on May 11, 2016

I received the medicare premium payment in the amount of $487.20 for May 1st through August 31st. There is no way I can pay that amount of money at one time. Is there a way for me to make monthly payments. I am retired and money was already tight before I was forced to pay for Part B insurance in addition to a drug plan and a supplemental plan.

We agree that is a lot to pay at once! You will want to contact Medicare directly to see if you can switch from quarterly payments to monthly payments. If you need help switching to a lower cost Medigap (supplement) plan, please call one of our Senior65 licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956.
-Chris from

By walt on March 09, 2016

I saw your response to Elena on following up with Medicare to see if they got the payment she mailed. I mail my payments to the center in St. Louis, Mo but there is no phone number to call. Do you have the phone number to call & verify that they received my payment ?

You can call Medicare directly to see if your payments are received. If you're concerned that payments by mail are not going through, you can pay online or through Medicare Easy Pay.
-Chris from

By Virginia Bertha Lozano Nunez on November 14, 2015


By Virginia Bertha Lozano Nunez on November 13, 2015

Good day, On July 2015 I left the United States and returned to Mexico, therefore my SSI was cancelled, I wasn't aware I had to cancell Medicare as well and charges have been made since then. I would like to know how I can first of all cancel the service and secondly learn about my options regarding my debt. Who could I contact? preferebly online as I now live out of the country. Thank you for your help

This question has confounded me. I have done some research, but cannot find a direct answer. You can try first at your MyMedicare account to see if you cancel from there, if not you'll need to, unfortunately, call Medicare. Wish you the best!
-Amy from

By Elena Royzman on October 23, 2015

I receive Notice of Medicare Premium Payment amount from Medicare Premium Collection Center and I mail my payment 10/13/2015. I just want to know if you receive my payment? Thank you, Elena Royzman

If you sent your Medicare Part A and Part B premium in and want to check the status, you'll want to contact Medicare before the 25th, as that looks like the date it must be received by.
-Jacima from

Leave a Question or Comment Below

If you would like to receive an instant answer, try our new answerbot to the right! --->

We are a small but energetic team! If you are already working with an insurance agent, please direct your question to him or her.

If you do not have an agent (or you are unsatisfied with your agent's knowledge or service), shoot us your question below and consider enrolling in a plan through Senior65! For more check out "Why work with Senior65?"

We will not publish your last name or email if you submit this form.

It's 100% FREE to work with Senior65

Call our licensed agent today at 800-930-7956. Click here to learn 5 great reasons to work with