Does Medicare Cover Dental?

Learn if Medicare covers dental health

Dental care is one of those things that we all need to take care of but often wait too long to address – some of us more than others :). Since root canals and bridges and other major services can be pricey, many of our clients want to know if Medicare covers any of the costs of routine dental care.

Does Medicare Cover Dental?

Original Medicare Part A and B does not cover routine dental visits and procedures such as filling, tooth extractions or dentures. Medicare can cover some expenses for dentistry-related hospitalizations. Most individuals on Medicare select a separate dental plan to address their regular dental needs.

Does Medigap Cover Dental?

While Medigap plans can cover your Original Medicare deductibles, copays, and coinsurance for dentistry-related hospitalization, generally Medigap does NOT cover dental. Medigap does offer stand-alone dental plans within the application as an additional product for purchase.

Learn More about Medigap
Get a Medigap Quote

Does Medicare Advantage Cover Dental?

Medicare Advantage (MA) can cover dental but since MA plans are not standardized, coverage and benefits vary from plan to plan. If you are considering a Medicare Advantage plan that does offer dental, make sure to check the dentist network and the maximum payout (how much the MA plan will pay towards your dental in one year). That will help you know how robust the coverage is.

Learn More about Medicare Advantage
Get a MA Quote

Is a Stand-Alone Dental Plan Expensive?

Usually stand-alone dental plans are rather inexpensive. In some states, as low as $10 a month. You can get a quote below to see how much it would cost in your area.

Get a Senior Dental Quote

For further questions call an independent Senior65 agent at 800-930-7956 or click here to get a senior dental quote.

Patricia
Patricia

Looking for a dentist but i only have medicare.

Reply to  Patricia
Patricia,
You will first have to purchase dental insurance. You can get a dental insurance quote here
-Eric from Senior65.com
Carl
Carl

Hello,Would medicare plan F help me pay for dental implants?thanks

Reply to  Carl
Carl,
Medigap plans do not cover dental. We sell stand alone dental plans that can provide coverage for implants. Learn more here: https://www.senior65.com/dental-quote
-Eric from Senior65.com
Elizabeth  Powell
Elizabeth Powell

I am on Medicare because I have a disability, therefore I am not 65, but 62.
Am I still able to take advantage of a Plan F and Medigap plans? Which would be best for me?

Elizabeth
Unfortunately, in most states you will not qualify for Medigap Plan F, if you’re under 65. However, you may qualify for Plan A and other plans, and would, most likely, qualify for Medicare Advantage. Please call one of our Senior65 licensed independent insurance agents at 800-930-7956 for help finding the right Medicare Health plan for you.
Terry
Terry

Can I sign up at any time for a Stand alone plan ? and Does it have to be a Medicare approved dental plan ?? I live in Georgia, my Dentist does not accept Medicare and I do not want to change dentist.

Reply to  Terry
Terry,
Yes, you can sign up for a stand-alone dental plan at any time. And, Medicare does not work with dental, so you don’t need to worry about that. Click here to get a senior dental quote.
-Eric from https://www.senior65.com/
Indy
Indy

Will dental cover orthodontics? I get terrible ear infections from TMJ. My ear doctor says that braces will help.

Reply to  Indy
Indy,
Many dental plans offer orthodontic coverage. Two things you want to remember are 1) Most plans put a cap on what they will pay s, and 2) Most plans have a waiting period before they will pay.

Once you get a
senior dental quote, you’ll be able to see if and how braces are covered.

Darrin Kleinbaum MBA
Darrin Kleinbaum MBA

Too bad Dental isn’t covered by Medigap. Then it would really cover all the gaps! Do you think any company will offer dental as part of Medigap in the future?

Darrin,
We agree that it would be great if Medigap covered dental, however, it is unlikely that they will be an added benefit to the standardized plans. Currently, there are some companies that bundle dental and vision into the package. In this case, you’ll generally see that the premium for these Medigap plans are higher than their competitors. Hope this helps!
-Chris from https://www.senior65.com/
Sam Mohoney
Sam Mohoney

Thank you for finally explaining how dental coverage works with Medicare. This is the only site that uses plain english to explain Medicare, Medigap and Medicare Advantage. I had a question but it was the same as someones below so no need to ask it again. I just want to leave a quick comment to thank you for providing this service.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Doesn’t Medicare or the supplemental plans cover Dentures? It seems like every old person I know has dentures so I figured that was something you got from Medicare. Am I wrong???

Reply to  Anonymous
Thank you for your question. We get your confusion; however, Medicare does not cover dentures. You can enroll in a separate dental plan that help with the cost of dentures. Hope this helps!
-Eric from https://www.senior65.com/
Cindy from Chico CA
Cindy from Chico CA

Dental is so important to our health. I am almost 65 and I have never had a cavity. I cannot believe it isn’t built into Medicare. Looks like I’m going to have to purchase a Medigap plan, Part D drugs and a dental plan. I’m not happy but at least I’ll be protected! People who have made it to 65 who don’t get the extra coverage must not value their health! No fake choppers for me!!!!!

Bradley D
Bradley D

You say that dental could be as low as $8. What is the average cost? I never trust it when they say “as low as.”

Reply to  Bradley D
Bradley,
We totally understand what you mean about “as low as”. The average cost is $30 a month. Click here to get a senior dental quote, to learn the cost of a plan in your area.
-Chris from https://www.senior65.com/
Michelle Browne
Michelle Browne

I have a complicated procedure that needs to be done in the hospital. I know the dental service isn’t covered by Medicare, but does the dental coverage cover my stay in the hospital or does Medicare or do I have to pay for it out of pocket?

Michelle,
Medicare Part A will partially cover the costs for your inpatient stay in the hospital if you have emergency or a complicated dental procedure (even if it does not cover the costs of the dental work). However, you will still be responsible for your Part A deductible, unless you have certain Medigap plans that cover that cost.
Wendy E.
Wendy E.

Medicare and Medigap don’t cover dental, so obviously Medicare Advantage is a better deal. Why would I want Medigap instead of Medicare Advantage? This is not clear to me.

Reply to  Wendy E.
Wendy,
Great question. While Medicare Advantage does offer extras like dental and prescription drugs (not all plans do), it limits your network significantly and still has out of pocket costs. Whereas, Medigap Plan F, for most clients, once they pay their premium, they do not have any out of pocket costs for medical services that Medicare covers (plus it adds on additional hospitalization days and foreign emergency travel care). Hope this helps.
-Chris from https://www.senior65.com/
Bill R.
Bill R.

It seems that sometimes the out of pocket cap on what the dental plan will pay out does not make the dental plan worth it. Am I missing something?

Reply to  Bill R.
Bill,
You are correct! Sometimes it doesn’t make sense to enroll in a dental plan. You want to weigh the companies out of pocket limit against your premium, as well as their waiting periods for services you need, to decide if and/or which dental plan makes sense for you.

Patricia
Patricia

Looking for a dentist but i only have medicare.

Reply to  Patricia
Patricia,
-Eric from Senior65.com
Carl
Carl

Hello,Would medicare plan F help me pay for dental implants?thanks

Reply to  Carl
Carl,
-Eric from Senior65.com
Elizabeth  Powell
Elizabeth Powell

I am on Medicare because I have a disability, therefore I am not 65, but 62.

Elizabeth
Terry
Terry

Reply to  Terry
Terry,
-Eric from https://www.senior65.com/
Indy
Indy

Reply to  Indy
Indy,

Once you get a
senior dental quote, you’ll be able to see if and how braces are covered.

Darrin Kleinbaum MBA